Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a five month old female from the local shelter last year. Her cell tag listed her as a keeshond mix, her webpage listed her as a german shepherd mix and now that she is grown we have been thinking she is a border collie mix of brindle color.

Last night I was looking at Petfinder and found this dog that looks sooooo much like ours! She is listed as a Catahoula Leopard mix. Please notice the striping on the front leg. Is this just average brindle coloring or is it more breed specific. Our dog's legs are "striped" just like this, but she is long haired. Can brindle dogs be long haired?

I would post pics of my own dog, but I am not computer savvy at all and it is just beyond me :(

Here is the link to the look-alike dog
petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14202775

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Long haired dogs can be brindle color, but they look more mottled or patchy because the stripes appears less well defined. Don't get too wrapped up with what the shelter listed as her mix. They are just making a best guess unless they have solid information as to the parents. Shelters sometimes list dogs (not entirely honestly) based on what will generate some interest in adoptions. In my area, there are dozens (if not hundreds) of "Lab mix", "terrier mix", "Boxer mix", and "[other] mix" dogs for adoption. They almost all look surprisingly like Pit Bulls or Pit mixes. I've seen more than a few listings that were LMAO funny.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I hope you can learn how to post pictures I would love to see her. And yes Brindle dogs come in longhaired too. Any color of dog can come in any type of fur.

some of the more common brindled breeds are

Boxer
Boston Terrier
American Pitbull terrier
Greyhound
Siberian Husky
Chihuahua (long haired and smooth coat)
Bulldog
Daschund (long haired and smooth coated)

and many others

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm going to try again to post the link. I don't think I did the last one right. Told you I'm not very savvy!

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14202775

Thanks Keechak. She doesn't seem to favor any of the breeds you listed, but she was a stray and there is no telling what is in her blood! My husband calls her a "baussie". To him that is a border/ausssi mix. I can't agree too much with that, because as intense as she can be, I would imagine that combo would be hyper active/hyper intelligent. I figure some kind of shepherd though. We have a suburban home and a country home and when she is at "the ranch" she is so content and happy to follow hubby around working his many projects. But she is very good in the backyard of the other house too. We were lucky to find her!

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
there are shepherd breeds that come in brindle...though they arent as common...the first one that comes to mind is the Dutch Shepherd

and houlas come in all colors and various shapes.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Wire haired too xD

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One other question - When this dog sleeps in my room she positions herself in front of the door and facing it, like she is on guard. Is this typical shepherd behavior or just a personality thing. The other, big ol' scary looking dog is in bed between us, on his back with his feet sticking up. But he is not related to her at all ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts