Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking for any tips for these two dogs, the white/blk one is mine so he's here full time, the yellow one is my neighbors dog that I sit for a few times each month, aside from dog sitting the two are given time together in a backyard to play. They've known each other for about 6-7 months and are totally different when it comes to personalties, shocker eh *wink*.
Basically I want to get the most of them being friends but sometimes they don't click. Taylor loves all dogs, to the point where he has to be following them around every time they move, goes right up to the other dogs face to start licking all the time yadda yadda. Sable, the golden lab mix, is the same way but with people not dogs, she has to be right beside you and follows you wherever you go, always has her head on a lap and if she can get away with it she'll crawl right up on you *lol. But she's not like that with other dogs and hates it when Taylor gets in her face. When they play, she's the boss and gets springy on him *lol. I always watch them, never alone outside or in, and sometimes I catch her turning a wee bit pissy with him. It's funny, cause she's a talker when she plays so you have to listen closely to catch it, but it can turn from play growl and bark to an 'I don't like you' barking and growling. Then after a stern verbal "no" they seperate and go back to sniffing around or playing. They eat well next to each other, no fighting over beds or bones both are about 3.5 years old, fixed and both have been in the SPCA.

Ans sometimes I see her looking from the corner of her kinda wary of him. Here's a pic of 'the look'. What's with that?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Let SAble tell TAylor off, it's how dogs communicate, Just as you would with a person that got into your space too much. It's noth that they're fighting, she's just making her wishes known. As long as Taylor takes the hint and backs off, everything should be fine. Also, expect rough play, it's normal and both dogs need it, just be sure it occurs in an appropriate area (outside where nothing can get damaged).

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Our two dogs are similar - one loves other dogs, one loves people. We are always saying we wish we could put them together and we'd have the perfect dog!

In 'the look' picture it just looks to me like Sable is looking at him. But from the other stuff you told us it sounds like she may be sorta "watching her back." Just like people might not want a dog all over them, some dogs don't want other dogs all up in their faces either. Sounds like Taylor needs to learn to back off when Sable needs space.

If you take Carla's advice and let her tell him off, just keep a very close eye on them because it could easily escalate into a fight. OTOH, it is easy to mistake rough play for fighting - the growls that come out of my lab mix when they are playing used to scare the crap out of me!! But I know now it's just play.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts