Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Question on Crate Training

708 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  3GSD4IPO 
#1 ·
We are new owners of a 9mo old rescue terrier. I have a couple general questions on crate training philosophy. He is potty trained and only has had 1-2 accidents within the first 2 days we had him. We believe he was acclimating to his new surroundings. None since then. He of course has some issues with crating being a rescue older pup but has done pretty well given the circumstances. We are pretty good with the basic principles on crate training but also feeling bad having him crated 12-14 hours day. This has only happened 1/2 times as we have taken on a flexible working schedule to accommodate his transition. But this will not be the case soon.

Potty Trained - Yes
Chewing habits - I think are ok but still need more time do completely feel comfortable.

What are thoughts of only crate training during the day and letting him sleep on a bed on our floor at night? This would be ensure he is only being crated for 6-8 hours a day at most. This is given that we do not associate the crate with social isolation which we will continuously work on during the morning/evenings.

#2 ·
My dogs are crated OR in kennels during the day. I prefer the kennels outside if the weather is good. I have indoor kennels as well (set up in my basement) (5'X10' X6' tall).

Most dogs are fine on the schedule you suggest. Day crating while at work, loose at night when home. I do suggest you give him a Kong stuffed with low fat plain yogurt and some of his kibble mixed in and freeze it at night and give him that frozen thing in the AM when you crate him and leave for work. I also recommend a raw meaty bone 1X a week as well as something like a Nyla Bone in the crate while you are gone.

Trust me on this.. that occasional time when you are out for 12 hours? Dog will be fine.

If your dog is not raising heck at night while you sleep (or try to) then loose at night is fine. I never leave a dog loose in the house when I am at work. I always worry they will decide on that day to go gnaw a light socket or electric cord.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.