Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say that my Pekingese who I've had for 14 years died 2 months ago on 1/3/12. After a couple months of grieving, I think I'm ready to get a new dog. There's this 7 month old puppy at my local shelter that I want to adopt.

I got my last dog when she was just 2 months old. We used to confine it in an area in our basement but I was in school back then so I would only be gone from like 8:30 - 2:30. We (parents and I) raised him without a problem. She was a great dog.

My question is if I work from 9am-6pm is it a good ideal to keep the puppy at home alone for that extended period of time? I really do want to adopt that puppy and there's no doubt I have the time to walk it in the morning and at night. It's just the middle of the day when she is alone that makes me hesitant to go ahead and adopt her.

If it is not a good idea, what are my options if I really want a dog? I know I can get a dog that is older and trained, but I like the idea of having a puppy again and raising her to an old age.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
A 7-month-old will be easier than a younger puppy. She may even be able to hold it for the whole 9 hours, although that's a bit of a stretch. Any way you can come home at lunch or hire a dog walker to take her out in the middle of the day? As long as you give her enough exercise and attention when you are home, that's the only problem I can see.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
You may need to get someone to walk her at about lunch time, or take her to doggy day care even if it's just for an hour or two, some of them do pick up's and drop off's, as long as she gets anything she needs and lots of love and attention she should be ok, but maybe not alone at home for that long, although of course she might also be able to do it, would depend on the dog.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found it amazing how my old dog was able to hold it for 9+ hours. But yeah I know puppies can't hold it as well. I was able to train my old puppy the same way, of course it was a shorter period of time when I left home and returned home. I know they will have to go on the pads once or twice during the day. The one thing I'm afraid of is if it will get separation anxiety and have behavioral changes.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I get up in the morning and let Jax out around 5:30 for 10-20 minutes before I leave for work and he goes in his crate. I usually make it home at lunch, but on days that I don't, it's 5:30ish before I get home usually. I often, if I know in advance I won't get home at lunch, I'll get back for a few right around 8:00, but even so (and I know it's not all that good) but he's yet to have a mess in his crate on the occasional 8-9 hour days left in it and even the 2-3 times he's been stuck in it all day. He's around 8 months old and 60 pounds, if that helps at all in giving you an idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts