Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm aware of, but unfamiliar with the specifics of Whippets. A group of puppies here is for sale and I'm curious for some guidance from those who know the breed well. (Full disclosure: the puppies are 3/4s Whippet, 1/8 Catahoula, 1/8 Pharaoh. The father is full whippet.)

Here is what I am looking for. I live in Hawaii so I would love to have a dog I can run with, that will do well in a smaller housing setting (small yard), that I can take off leash on hikes and the beach, and that is smart and trainable. I work from home and am a solid dog trainer. Ideally, I'd like a dog that is okay around cats and other animals - it would likely be exposed to friends' cats from an early age.

Thoughts? The dogs' owners said he bred for 'hunting line', but this being Hawaii, I'm not sure how many options actually exist for selectively breeding.

Any advice is welcome and thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
am going to follow along and see what info you get. am always curious how you get 1/8 of a breeding.. :) am not comfortable for you if this individual is saying (he did this on purpose for better hunting dogs) ??? Been around Catahoula's I would either say no for the cats,, or hope you are very good at working with this part to be ok around cats from a young age..

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Sighthounds aren't great off-leash dogs. They're smart and trainable, but probably not as biddable and handler oriented as say, a herding breed.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
As said, sighthounds and lurchers (which these pups technically are) aren't good off leash pet dogs. With that combination, I'd expect a fairly aloof, reserved dog with high prey drive that isn't very biddable. Not to say they aren't trainable, because they are, but they tend to be less "what can I do for you?!" dogs than a lot of other breeds. On the other hand, if you had a strong interest in lure or open field coursing, this litter might be right up your alley.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
That sounds like a pretty purpose bred hunting dog to me. I'd expect prey drive. I'd also agree with a lack of "what can I do for you" and more "what can you do for me" in terms of training. I agree that off leash reliability and a 'Houla/sight hound cross are not likely to be compatible. Do some research on lurchers, ask this breeder about their lines' prey drive. IMO, its not the breeder I'd go to for an off leash hiking buddy in an apartment unless I was in love with lurchers. Probably could work leashed, prey drive might be a problem, but it does sound like a pretty intensely bred coursing hunting dog, which isn't necessarily a happy fit with cats and off leash stuff.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the responses, I decided against going for it.

And to answer the question: the dad was purebred Whippet, the mom was catahoula/pharoah.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts