Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about poodle hair. My little guy is a Lhasa Apso/miniature poodle mix, and I kind of assumed that the low-shedding qualities of the poodle (especially mixed with another low-shedding breed) were the reason I'm not allergic to him like I am to other dogs.

Tonight I went to the humane society and looked at a sweet little miniature poodle mix. In her case, the poodle is definitely dominant. Her hair was a bit more . . . stiff and wiry than I expected. Of course, the little dear very much needed a bath and groom. But when I left, I felt a little itchy. I should mention that I did handle another dog, and the soap they provided was very strong, so I might have been reacting to either or both of those things.

So my question is: what does clean, groomed poodle hair feel like? Is it soft or more wiry?

By the way, here's a picture I took of the little girl. She was super sweet.

I doubt I'll get her, though. By the time I arrived, she had been placed on a hold until noon tomorrow. I guess someone liked her as much as I did, and placed a hold so they could bring the whole family to meet her. The hold is released at noon tomorrow, so I'll call to find out the status then.

Plus I still have to decide if I can handle two dogs. But I was sure drawn to her on the site and in person.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Bella feels like cotton, she is very soft. However, I fostered a full blooded standard poodle that had very coarse hair. I think that the soft hair is the most common, but I think the coarse hair is normal too.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
My poodle boy is soft and 'poofy'...he get's nice and curly when he goes 'unbrushed' for a few days. His coat isn't overly coarse, and by no means wirey like a terrier.

The pooch in the pic, looks like she may have a mixed type coat, but not being able to see and feel it up close, it would be hard to say for sure. Perhaps go back, have them bath and clean her up (in a hypoallergenic shampoo), and don't touch any other dogs while you're there. Then see how you feel after handling her.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Theres a lot of different poodle hair types. When i adopted Kintaro I always thought he was a maltese mix because i expected poodle hair to be very curly, thick and even a little coarse.

My little boys coat is as soft as cotton and tangles like no other if I neglect to brush him even one day. The Poodle's coat in the picture looks very much like Kinatro's, it is curly but not tight curls like i see in most poodles and very soft, his ears and tail don't have as much body as i'd like or that I've seen. At some points like his legs it's wavy and doesn't hold much of a curl.
The poodle in the picture would look very much like kintaro after a couple weeks of no grooming/brushing.

You may be allergic because she's been around other dogs and shes picked up their fur and other stuff. I am allergic as well and after I pick up Kintaro from a place that has had a lot of other dogs around such as a groomer or a day care etc. I start getting the sneezies. but when hes clean or hasn't been around other dogs for a long period, i don't have any allergies. HTH

Hope you get her, she looks so cute sitting on your lap like that.

·
Registered
640 Posts
My Poodles' fur is super-soft... softer than my parents' Golden Retriever's... and cuddling with them is like cuddling a teddy bear... but Dixon's littermate had somewhat wiry white hair with very tight curls. I agree it's hard to judge until she's been groomed... poor sweetie looks shaggy, but very sweet!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
"Correct" Poodle coat is coarse, only being soft when puppies, until coat change. I'm enjoying Lucia's puppy coat - feels like cashmere!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ruby has super soft hair right now, mind you she is only 4 months old so the texture might change when she loses her puppy coat. I hope not but I think it will

1 - 7 of 7 Posts