Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today one of my facebook friends saw a video I posted of my dogs doing some simple tricks. I guess she made the connection that I own dogs, and am a dog guru :p I'm flattered, but the question she sent me isn't something I've really had to deal with, and can't think of advice beyond "take her to the vet" and "she isn't fully potty trained, you need to work harder, and actually take her outside." so I thought I'd turn to you folks. Here is her message:

"My dog, Tori ( a 2 year old chihuahua) is having issues with going to the bathroom where she should be. her typical set up is somewhat like a litterbox, but instead of "litter" we use a pee pad. She has to step into the "box" in order to go to the bathroom! For the most part she has been really good about this ( we have had her for over a year, and only a few accidents would occur. She has always been really good about peeing on her pad, but sometimes she wouldn't quite make it onto the pad to poop. Now for the bad part...

for the past month or so, she has been refusing to poop AT ALL on her pad, instead, she goes right next to it on the floor. At first we figured it was because she walks around while pottying and that she was making an attempt to step into the box, but while pottying walked right back out... Make sense? But, after a few times of catching her in the act, we have realized that she isn't even making the attempt to go on it!!! We have tried positive reinforcement... leading her to her potty place when she has accidents ( putting the accident onto the pad so she can see) and when she goes on the pad being over the top with praise. We have also tried kenneling her at night ( which we never did before) and taking her to the pad right when we get up. This seems to help a bit, and we are continuing with this. The problem is, she is still pooping on the floor no matter how many times we take her to her pad."

I felt enough to post this because her husband is saying she must get rid of him.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why aren't they able to take the dog outside??? Does she even get to go for walks?
That's the top of my questions. But, I know there are some users here who do use potty pads, so I was interested in how they did it/their take on the situation.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured that could be the simple fix. She could be completely thrown off by the idea of being confined while using the bathroom. My dogs move around a small area while they go.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow that's a tough one! I think their first mistake was letting the dog go to the bathroom in the house period. Even on a pad. Potty training is not for someone who is lazy that's for sure. LOL I believe, although could be wrong, that those particular breeds are kinda stubborn when it comes to potty training. Just what I've heard from dog show folks who own them.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Maybe she hits the side of the box with her legs when she's taking a poo and just figures it would be easier to go beside the box, they probably didn't train her well enough to go in the box, so she thought next to the box was basically the same thing.

It'd just be easier to house train her to go outside. Many dogs can become confused by pads being in the house, and then they think it's okay to go inside the house.

I've only trained a dog to go outside and inside on pads once. Because he was too small and didn't have enough hair to go outside when it was -60F the second he stepped outside he'd fall to his side and start screaming like someone was murdering him. But in the summer I taught him to go to the door and tap on the door when he needed to go. He wasn't confused in the slightest, he knew it was too cold outside!!!

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow that's a tough one! I think their first mistake was letting the dog go to the bathroom in the house period. Even on a pad. Potty training is not for someone who is lazy that's for sure. LOL I believe, although could be wrong, that those particular breeds are kinda stubborn when it comes to potty training. Just what I've heard from dog show folks who own them.
I know my Dachshund was a poopin' fiend and we had to really work on the potty training to get it down. It seems like she's really working with the dog, and is just misguided. I know A LOT of people who think little dogs should go inside like cats. I suggested taking the pad out of the box, asked her what she was feeding Tori and what her schedule is like, and said she can potty train how she likes but switching to outside and getting her out on walks could turn the situation around.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
This is an easy one from one perspective. There are three reasons when what you're doing isn't working anymore...1) medical issue, 2) the problem behavior is reinforced, 3) the dog already has an answer. This one sounds a lot like 3.

I noticed as my dog matured her potty behavior changed at about age 3. She went from eliminating in one area to being offended by eliminating in the same area. Seriously, overnight it went from 'Ooooo crap' to 'Ahhhh crap' upon discovering some. I have no idea why, nor do I know why she started rototilling after eliminating at the same time too. I blame maturity.

So is it possible that the answer this dog found to pottying in the same place is to potty somewhere else? I dunno, but I'd chalk it up to one of those things that will never be explained...like most owner-absent problems.

Now, I despise the hubby for suggesting his remedy...sorry, but he's a moron. The solution, as difficult as it may be, is to manage the dog's routine so he can eliminate in an appropriate place. If that means hiring a dog walker, hire a dog walker. If that means building an outdoor run attached to the house, build an outdoor run. If that means doggie daycare, that means doggie daycare. The solutions are many, doing the same and expecting different results is, according to Einstein, insanity.

So I vote let's get rid of the hubby...that will solve most of the problem I'm sure.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I vote let's get rid of the hubby...that will solve most of the problem I'm sure.
I'll tell her to take him down to the shelter. :p

I did notice she is very close to my house, and we have a yard big enough for tons of dogs. I told her if she wants to bring her dogs to meet mine for a walk and all goes well, Tori is welcome at my house any day and she can hang out in the yard and get some play. She must be horribly bored if she, in fact, is never actually walked.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
This is an easy one from one perspective. There are three reasons when what you're doing isn't working anymore...1) medical issue, 2) the problem behavior is reinforced, 3) the dog already has an answer. This one sounds a lot like 3.

I noticed as my dog matured her potty behavior changed at about age 3. She went from eliminating in one area to being offended by eliminating in the same area. Seriously, overnight it went from 'Ooooo crap' to 'Ahhhh crap' upon discovering some. I have no idea why, nor do I know why she started rototilling after eliminating at the same time too. I blame maturity.

So is it possible that the answer this dog found to pottying in the same place is to potty somewhere else? I dunno, but I'd chalk it up to one of those things that will never be explained...like most owner-absent problems.

Now, I despise the hubby for suggesting his remedy...sorry, but he's a moron. The solution, as difficult as it may be, is to manage the dog's routine so he can eliminate in an appropriate place. If that means hiring a dog walker, hire a dog walker. If that means building an outdoor run attached to the house, build an outdoor run. If that means doggie daycare, that means doggie daycare. The solutions are many, doing the same and expecting different results is, according to Einstein, insanity.

CP...I don't think I have ever agreed with you more....great post:D

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I noticed the same thing with my dog at about 2 years of age. He's always been a shining star as far as house training was concerned, and he never did his business except on the perimeter of the yard. There are a couple of overgrown areas he prefers, but the last year he's refusing to enter any area that's got too much feces (as determined by him). Now when I see he is reluctant to walk in one of his spots, I throw down some lime, cover it with a layer of topsoil/rotted much, and let it "rest" for a few days.

It's possible that the problem Chi is rebelling at the cleanliness of the facilities. A dog needs enough of her own scent to identify her area, but some like a tidy comfort station. Just a thought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts