Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just joined here. I did a search for socializing and got some great info, but I couldn't find my exact concern or question in the search results so....

A few days ago I got a 13 week old puggle. She's now about 13 1/2 weeks. I took her on a puppy play date over the weekend, and she just ignores the other dogs. She's not scared of them, she just doesn't acknowledge them. It's like they are not even there. Doesn't look at them, smell them, nothing. She just wants to be around humans. She will sit at our feet and whine like she wants to be held. I don't pick her up all the time, because I know that will be teaching her whine = her being picked up, so I don't want her to "train" me.

Also regarding walking. I know she needs lots of excercise, so I take her out walking, and she also doesn't sniff around on the grass, concrete, trees, nothing, she does nothing but look at my feet while we are both walking and act as if she wants me to pick her up. It seems related to the first question above. I have never seen a dog not smell it's surrounding while on a walk. I mean we literally walked for 20 minutes and not once did she look around or smell other things.

I'm concerned that the breeders did nothing but hold her, and now she wants to be held all the time. I know that not holding her while she whines will teach her, however I want to be able to hold my new puppy sometimes, so will this "re-set" or counter-act my training her? What should I do? I know getting her around puppies is important too. I'm looking for any advice since she will be 16 weeks soon, and I've read you want to get your puppy use to certain things before that age. Like socializing etc.

thanks for any support!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Give her a few more days to settle in. Socializing does not really mean she HAS to interact, it's more that she get out and experience things and learn nothing bad happens in new situations and it's all good. Dragging her into a group of strange dogs to make her play would be more likely to make her fearful, and going at things with the goal that she 'has' to do this or that can be much worse. Meeting 3 friendly dogs for example is better for her than meeting 100 aggressive ones.

I would work on things at home for a few days, get her more comfortable with you and the routine, then go out for some adventures. She does not need marathon walks either, going to a park or grassy area and hanging out while she explores on leash is fine. Start working on some training at home now and then do the same things when you go to new places, so she learns to listen and that it's all good stuff when you go out too.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Totally agree with Bordermom. She's new to your home, and she needs to settle in. She's in a new environment, with new sights, smells, sounds, people, etc. SO, of course, she's going to be rather attached to you, the only thing she even half way knows is good about her new life.

Also agree, socializing doesn't have to mean interaction. The best thing you can do is just give her the opportunity to see lots of new people, places, and dogs, so she doesn't become fearful.

When we walked our first new puppy, years ago, he went full blast, dead ahead, as if to say "let's get this over with and go home!" He didn't look at anything, just focused on going forward, and getting home! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bordermom and doxiemommy, thanks for the great info. Since she's new to me I was worried she might have socializing issues based on what I saw, but the way you put is a great way to look at it, and I didn't think of it that way. I'll let a few days pass and then come back and update this thread.

thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: She's doing great! :) I've taken her to three puppy dog dates, and she's playing with all the dogs. She has so much energy and I'm still loving each moment with her. The other dogs are still trying to work out the "alpha" part. But they still play with her. Thanks for the info again. I've also taken her out and she's smelling more places rather than whining for me to pick her up. In fact she doesn't whine any more for me to pick her up. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts