Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
breeder says bitch is dry and tight but was in 2nd week of heat...she had a slip mate..could she be pregnant? or two weeks she was over?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Okay, I'm a bit confused by your terminology. I haven't a clue what you mean by the bitch is "dry and tight". If by a "slip mate" you mean a breeding that didn't result in a tie, then yes, she definitely could be pregnant, since the second week is when a bitch typically ovulates. If the breeding was accidental, then the odds are even better that she's pregnant, since that's the way things seem to work.

When was the breeding? Is she showing any signs of being in whelp? Has the owner had an ultrasound or x-rays done to verify pregnancy?

·
Super Moderator
2,436 Posts
The bitch may or may not be in her fertile period during her second week of heat, and slip matings can result in pregnancy. What is the breeder using to determine her fertility? Timing of the heat cycle compared to her previous cycles? Progesterone testing? The interest of an experienced stud dog? Was the slip mating intentional or accidental? If intentional, was it the only time mating was attempted?

It might help if we knew why you were interested in this information. Usually the logistical part of mating and confirming pregnancy is taken care of entirely by the breeder, and prospective buyers aren't hearing blow-by-blow details but more basic information like that mating happened and then, later, that the dog is or is not pregnant as confirmed by a vet. Are you trying to decide whether to put a deposit on a puppy from this litter?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I'm a bit confused by your terminology. I haven't a clue what you mean by the bitch is "dry and tight". If by a "slip mate" you mean a breeding that didn't result in a tie, then yes, she definitely could be pregnant, since the second week is when a bitch typically ovulates. If the breeding was accidental, then the odds are even better that she's pregnant, since that's the way things seem to work.

When was the breeding? Is she showing any signs of being in whelp? Has the owner had an ultrasound or x-rays done to verify pregnancy?

It happened on accident when we was meeting her future stud so they could meet...the breeder put on a plastic glove and lubed her pinkie and stuck in in my female dog and got to her first knuckle and said she is dry and tight there is no way she can mate she must have fallen out of heat. But the stud was keeping to mount her and she stood with moving her tail to side. but no lock. it was slip mate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bitch may or may not be in her fertile period during her second week of heat, and slip matings can result in pregnancy. What is the breeder using to determine her fertility? Timing of the heat cycle compared to her previous cycles? Progesterone testing? The interest of an experienced stud dog? Was the slip mating intentional or accidental? If intentional, was it the only time mating was attempted?

It might help if we knew why you were interested in this information. Usually the logistical part of mating and confirming pregnancy is taken care of entirely by the breeder, and prospective buyers aren't hearing blow-by-blow details but more basic information like that mating happened and then, later, that the dog is or is not pregnant as confirmed by a vet. Are you trying to decide whether to put a deposit on a puppy from this litter?
It happened on accident when we was meeting her future stud so they could meet...the breeder put on a plastic glove and lubed her pinkie and stuck in in my female dog and got to her first knuckle and said she is dry and tight there is no way she can mate she must have fallen out of heat. But the stud was keeping to mount her and she stood with moving her tail to side. but no lock. it was slip mate.

·
Super Moderator
2,436 Posts
Ah, okay, the bitch is yours! That makes more sense.

Since she was standing and flagging (moving the tail) and the stud was willing to perform, assume she's pregnant going forward, whatever that means for you. If you're not prepared for puppies now and the mating happened recently, that may include exploring options to prevent or end the pregnancy with your vet, otherwise you'll want to make sure that you have everything you need for prenatal care of mom and that you have the finances in order for whelping and raising puppies, including emergency funds in the case of C-section or other complications. If you're letting it continue, I believe you can do a hormonal test or an ultrasound, and it needs to be minimum 20 days since the mating, but your vet should know more.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
At 55 days after the breeding took place have the Bitch x-rayed. See how many puppies (if any). She should have gained quite a lot if weight by then and have swollen nipples.

If the x-ray shows only 1 or 2 puppies, schedule a C-section as the pups may not produce enough hormones to induce the bitch to whelp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, okay, the bitch is yours! That makes more sense.

Since she was standing and flagging (moving the tail) and the stud was willing to perform, assume she's pregnant going forward, whatever that means for you. If you're not prepared for puppies now and the mating happened recently, that may include exploring options to prevent or end the pregnancy with your vet, otherwise you'll want to make sure that you have everything you need for prenatal care of mom and that you have the finances in order for whelping and raising puppies, including emergency funds in the case of C-section or other complications. If you're letting it continue, I believe you can do a hormonal test or an ultrasound, and it needs to be minimum 20 days since the mating, but your vet should know more.
thank you she is a teddybear and her stud is a teddypoo so in hopes now..thank you :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At 55 days after the breeding took place have the Bitch x-rayed. See how many puppies (if any). She should have gained quite a lot if weight by then and have swollen nipples.

If the x-ray shows only 1 or 2 puppies, schedule a C-section as the pups may not produce enough hormones to induce the bitch to whelp.
my vet said X rays are not good. we do have an ultrasound on the 5th.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
A tie isn't needed for a pregnancy to happen. If it was, than AI wouldn't work.

An ultrasound can determine if there is a pregnancy. An x-ray about a week before the expected whelping date will give you an idea of how many puppies she she is carrying.

Since it sounds like it was going to be a live cover anyway, I'm assuming that both she and the stud were tested clear for brucellosis?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
thank you she is a teddybear and her stud is a teddypoo so in hopes now..thank you :)
Ah, now I see your problem. Teddy bears are inanimate objects and cannot become pregnant. If you want to produce puppies you'll need to find both a female and a male dog.

Before breeding, both the bitch and stud should be fully grown, have a clean pre-breeding health exam, and good results on the recommended screening tests for their breed or breed mixes: Browse By Breed | Orthopedic Foundation for Animals | Columbia, MO

Best of luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
brucellosis
yes everything is good
Ah, now I see your problem. Teddy bears are inanimate objects and cannot become pregnant. If you want to produce puppies you'll need to find both a female and a male dog.

Before breeding, both the bitch and stud should be fully grown, have a clean pre-breeding health exam, and good results on the recommended screening tests for their breed or breed mixes: Browse By Breed | Orthopedic Foundation for Animals | Columbia, MO

Best of luck!
very funny..TEDDYBEAR is Bishon frise and Shih tzu and teddypoo is Shih and poodle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts