Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it best to stick with one command, like "sit", until the puppy has that one down before moving on to another, like "come"?

Or can the puppy handle a "sit" session and later a "come" session in the same day?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Your puppy is very young, right? I would stick with "sit" for a few days, and then add something else. Also, keep your training sessions short, just 3-5 minutes, several times a day. If your puppy seems confused and starts offering the wrong behavior for the command you give, then it's good to back up, and just review one command for a few more days.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I taught come and sit at the same time. And then stuck with just those 2 for a couple weeks until she had them down. Then I started with lay down and simply down at the same time, once she seemed to have those down I added stay. Stay is still a work in progress but we have added leave it this week. I like having a week or 2 to really solidify a command or two with her before adding another.

Funny command creeped up last night though and it has been consistent. My pup is already getting big and she is energetic and thinks people are her best friends and if she hasn't seen then for a bit she gets a little over excited and starts jumping. So for example if my 4 yr old had a nap when she got up my puppy acted like she hasn't seen her in years. Or the little one I babysit pup gets hyper to see her. Now I have taught her to lay down and then she gets pet. If the person she is excited to see takes a moment to pet her she settles right down and that person can go about their business with no more hyperness. That is all normal. But in order to make the little girls feel better when pup has accidentally scratched them jumping etc I started saying "play nice, say sorry". As of last night everytime I say that puppy nudges the girl and gives a little lick. This of course makes the girls giggle and pet her. End result every single time I have said it now she turns, nudges and gives a little lick. It is hilarious. and of course works for her because the little girls forgive all perceived wrong doings and give her a pile of attention. So you may find your puppy picking up "commands" outside of your training sessions no matter how few you want to focus on at a time.

Of course using commands is not limited to training sessions. FOr example, I often through out the day just say "come Deliliah" and when she does give her a big belly rub or a treat. It is not a training session but she sure as heck runs as fast as she can to me when I call.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
It takes hundreds of repetitions in dozens of different situations to have a command completely down, so you'll want to teach a few at a time. But, yeah, teach one for a few days, then add the other in a separate training session. Keep sessions short and positive and always begin and end with something you know the dog can do- even if it's just recognize their name. If you or your dog are getting frustrated, stop the session and come back to it later. There's always tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
The puppy can learn many things at once... Dr. Ian Dunbar has demonstrated this many times. However, most of us are not experienced, professional trainers (at least, I'm not), so I agree that it's best to focus on one at a time.

Having said that, I did teach my pup to Sit, Down, Come, Name, Shake, and Bow in the first two weeks, capturing repeated and very predictable behaviors. But it did take me a little longer to teach the next 5 - 10 behaviors, one at a time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts