Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my dog, Lucy spayed 4 days ago and the first two days she did really well. She wasn't paying attention to it at all but when she would go to the bathroom her pee is darker than it normally is and she cried when she pooped. I changed her dog food (I give her half and half of two different dog foods because she has had issues with diarrhea since I got her. I stopped giving her half of the all natural dog food that causes firmer bowels) she no longer cries when she poops. The last 2 days she has started trying to lick the stitches, I checked and there is a small amount of blood. I tell her no and she stops licking but she will do it again later.

Just a few minutes ago I took her out to go to the bathroom and I saw something on her butt area so I looked closer and there was even more lower down so I took her inside and wiped it off. It looks like a clear slime with blood in it.
Is it normal for a dog to pee blood after being spayed? And what is the slime looking stuff?

I want to know if it is normal or not before I call the vet because this is my first on my own dog so my first instinct is to call the vet over every little thing but they always tell me it's not something to worry about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would take her to the vet. My dog had a similar experience after being spayed, and it turned out she had a reaction to the stitches, and they had to re-stitch her.

You could always call the vet and describe it to them and then get their opinion before bringing her it :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I will call the vet as soon as I can. They have weird hours and are closed by the time I can call them today but I have the day off tomorrow so I will call them and see if I can bring her right in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The vet and the nurse both had different opinions on why Lucy could have been peeing blood. The nurse said during the surgery somethings are moved around and it could have just bothered her bladder and that it would stop in a few days, the vet said it was a UTI. They didn't test her for anything but put her on medication for the UTI anyway. The bleeding stopped 2 days later.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
It's inappropriate for a tech to attempt to diagnose an animal's condition and I would always go with what the vet says as they are the one who is supposed to decide those things. A licensed tech can have their license revoked for diagnosing an animal or even hinting at a diagnosis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts