Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just adopted a dog, Inky, who has already become a fast and happy member of our family. She's a Jack Russell/Heeler cross (as near as we can tell), and she's very affectionate and sweet. Unfortunately, her previous owners tied her up in the back yard and never interacted with her except to scream at her for digging (she's a terrier!), so she has no experience with very many people or with other dogs. She reacts to new situations with hesitation, but if given enough time she seems willing to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

I have had dogs all my life, raising many of them from puppies, but I've never experienced this particular phenomenon before. I am eager to give her a better life, but I want her to be well-adjusted and not a spoiled lapdog; I don't want her to have to depend on "Mommy" for comfort all the time.

Experience so far has shown that she never acknowledges her nervousness with aggression, but more dominant dogs instantly catch on to her sense of uneasiness. She learned "Sit," "Come," and housebreaking/crate training very easily, but I'm not sure where to go next. I don't want to overwhelm her with too many new experiences at once, but she's already over a year old, and I'm not sure whether there's a window after which the damage done by her previous life will be impossible to unravel.

Does anyone have experience with this situation and/or have any tips?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You do the same socialization with an adult dog as you do with a puppy. Introduce to new people, kids, new sights, new sounds, car rides, walks in the neighborhood/park, elevator rides, dogs, cats....everything/anything that will be part of her new life.
You're looking for sensitivity to sights, sounds and/or situations and then work to overcome them. While a puppy will adapt quicker, adults are resilient....it just takes more time to adjust.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts