Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm curious about something. My roommates puppy, Nilo, is just over six months old and he's about two feet tall at the shoulders. He weighs between 50 and 55 lbs. He gets about two cups of food, three times a day.

Now my mom (who is my roommates aunt -- she's my cousin)) is always on us to feed him more. She says that the puppy is way, way too skinny. He really doesn't have much fat on him at all. He's lean and long and lanky. My mum's of the school of thought that puppies need to be plump with a good layer of puppy fat. But he never had that layer of puppy fat, even when he was 9 1/2 weeks old.

So I have a couple of questions: the first one being, is my mom right? Is 50+ pounds too skinny for a puppy of his height. My cousin asked the vet about it when he got his rabies jab, and she looked at her like she was crazy. To quote the vet:

"This is the first non-overweight lab puppy I've seen in two weeks. You're feeding him perfectly."

He's been given a clean bill of health by the vet; he's had all his vaccines and is de-wormed. I think, personally, he's just a naturally skinny dog. But my mum just harps on it.

My second question is: how big do you all think he'll be when he reaches adulthood. We've heard varying opinions. Some people look at his paws and say he'll be huge. Other people go "Oh -- he won't be that big at all."

His momma was 62lbs at three years old, so I think he'll surpass her. His daddy was quite a bit bigger.

He's a black lab/border collie/rottweiler mix, if that helps with anything. He doesn't really look like anything but a black lab. But he has some cute feathering of his fur on his hind legs, up near the base of his tale. He has no tan on him from the rottie. Just a little upside down heart of white on his chest.

Aaaaanyway -- now that I'm through with that novel, I'm just wondering if I can your opinions :)

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Your mom is absolutely wrong, fat puppies equals joint and bone problems.

As for his final weight I would say anywhere from 70-80 pounds, don't know dads weight so can't say.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
To quote the vet:

"This is the first non-overweight lab puppy I've seen in two weeks. You're feeding him perfectly."
You can take that opinion to the bank. Vets are not always the definitive authorities on pet nutrition, but they know what a healthy pup looks like. 6 cups of food ought to be enough for a 50-ish lb. Lab pup. Even less if you feed a more nutritionally dense food.

Large breeds who commonly suffer from joint issues are better of on the lean side. Hip dysplasia (& etc) are genetic and diet won't prevent them, but being overweight can certainly make matters worse. Overstressing growing joints can do actual damage.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Do NOT allow the pup to get fat, it leads to joint disorders. It sounds like your pup is going through a lanky stage and it's JUST that, you WANT to see the last two ribs and the pup should have a DEFINED waist line.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

@ChaosIsAWeim -- Yeah, I figured my mum was wrong. Luckily, we don't defer to her on weight issues. She just keeps bringing it up every time we see her. I'm hoping she'll get tired of talking about it soon.

@Marsh Muppet -- I agree. I wouldn't trust a vet if I were to ask what the best food was, in fact I don't even bother asking the vet about food. But she's a good vet and I'll totally take her opinion on what constitutes a healthy looking puppy. She's very much a no-nonsense but still quite warm and definitely good with animals, even crazy puppies. As for Nilo's food, he's on a Acana large breed puppy formula, which is a 4 star food according to DogFoodAnalysis.com. He seems to do well on it, no runny stool and his fur is nice and glossy. He has plenty of energy, which is good because he gets two twenty minute walks and a least an hour off leash at the dog park every day. Plus fetch inside the house, if it's too hot during the day. And being in British Columbia, we've been having an extraordinarily hot September so far.

@cshellenberger -- Oh, I agree. The pup is very lanky right now. But we are not going to let him get fat. Like I said, he's my cousin/roommates pup -- but she works from 8-4 in the afternoon, so I'm home with him all day. I'm like the honorary auntie. I probably care about him as much as she does :)

@mustlovedogs123 -- Yup, I have pictures!

Nilo is the pup in the very back. This was the first picture we ever saw of him. It was, honestly, love at first site!

Nilo on the first night we brought him home. We got him at 9 1/2 weeks and he was already twenty pounds of pup.

Here he is about a month ago, playing with my little guy Mambo.

I'll see if I can get some more up to date pictures (from this month) when my cousin gets home :)

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I agree with the Vet, he's a great looking dog. I don't see his ribs, and I assume that you can't easily count his ribs, so he's probably fine. I expect him to start filling out when he gets to be about 10 mos, and to reach full weight of about 90 lbs when he's a little over 2 yo. (My estimate is free and worth every penny.)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Hi!

I'm curious about something. My roommates puppy, Nilo, is just over six months old and he's about two feet tall at the shoulders. He weighs between 50 and 55 lbs. He gets about two cups of food, three times a day.

Now my mom (who is my roommates aunt -- she's my cousin)) is always on us to feed him more. She says that the puppy is way, way too skinny. He really doesn't have much fat on him at all. He's lean and long and lanky. My mum's of the school of thought that puppies need to be plump with a good layer of puppy fat. But he never had that layer of puppy fat, even when he was 9 1/2 weeks old.

So I have a couple of questions: the first one being, is my mom right? Is 50+ pounds too skinny for a puppy of his height. My cousin asked the vet about it when he got his rabies jab, and she looked at her like she was crazy. To quote the vet:

He's been given a clean bill of health by the vet; he's had all his vaccines and is de-wormed. I think, personally, he's just a naturally skinny dog. But my mum just harps on it.

My second question is: how big do you all think he'll be when he reaches adulthood. We've heard varying opinions. Some people look at his paws and say he'll be huge. Other people go "Oh -- he won't be that big at all."

His momma was 62lbs at three years old, so I think he'll surpass her. His daddy was quite a bit bigger.

He's a black lab/border collie/rottweiler mix, if that helps with anything. He doesn't really look like anything but a black lab. But he has some cute feathering of his fur on his hind legs, up near the base of his tale. He has no tan on him from the rottie. Just a little upside down heart of white on his chest.

Aaaaanyway -- now that I'm through with that novel, I'm just wondering if I can your opinions :)
A lot of times 6 months is a lanky stage. I'd rather have a lean puppy than a fat one. It's much healthier. If your vet isn't concerned, I wouldn't be either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts