Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you comment, please keep in mind that this is NOT my dog.

Last night, at about 12:45, my father-in-law (Dad) wakes me up to tell me that something is wrong with their dog Josh. Josh is a 3yr old Pekingese Pomeranian mix. From what I understand, he was sleeping on the back of the love-seat in my in-laws bedroom. My mother-in-law (Sandi) woke up to a bad smell, and made some joke to Dad about him farting. Then there was a *thud*, they flipped on the lights, and Josh had fallen off the couch and was having convulsions. The smell was from a large, but normal looking, poop that he'd taken on top of the couch before he fell. When the convulsions started, his eyes were rolling in all direction, he had diarrhea all over himself, and was foaming at the mouth. They're not sure how long this lasted, but I'd say it was about 3 minutes from the time I heard the *thud* to the time I stopped hearing his claws scraping at the carpet. After all this, Josh seamed pretty fine for a few minutes. Sandi took him into the bathroom to clean him up a bit, while Dad and I discussed what to do. I wanted to take him to the vet, but the closest 24-hour clinic is over an hour away, and dad had been drinking before bed and wasn't sure if he was ok to drive. They Sandi calls us into the bathroom, because Josh had started foaming from the moth again. He looked very confused, like he didn't know what was going on, where he was, that sort of thing. By this point, it's about 1am. Sandi sets him down and offers him some water, which he drinks, and then he starts running around the house, going from room to room like he was looking for something. About 1:10 Dad picks him up to try to calm him down, and he starts foaming at the mouth again. We set him back down, and he continues his "search". We eventually let him outside, and he actually tried to squeeze his way out of the fenced in back yard, something that he never has done. He only seemed to slow down to drink a ton of water, and spent the rest of the hour running from room to room, outside, inside, whining the whole time. At about 2am Dad and Sandi decide it's too late to do anything, and decide they'll wait and see what happens in the morning. So everyone tries to go back to bed. Except Josh. Josh is a bed dog. If you're in bed, he's laying either with you or on his couch. But last night he wouldn't lay down at all. He kept tearing from one side of the house to the other. Around 3am Dad calls me back upstairs. Josh had started foaming at the mouth again. I finally convince him to at least call the 24hr clinic. They tell him that Josh had a Grand Mal seizure, and that should at least take him to their vet in the morning, if they can't bring him in right then. Well, they're still talking about whether they're going to take him to the vet, and Josh seems perfectly fine now, but I'm wondering if there's anything else they should be worried about. Can the vet find out what caused a seizure 3-4 days after it happens? Will it happen again? If it was my dog, he would have been to the vet last night as soon as it happened, but it's not my dog. I'm just trying to figure out what I can expect to see now. What do I need to worry about?

Sorry this was so long....

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have a dog who's been having seizures since 2006.

So the dog had 3 separate seizures? The first you said there was paddling and he pooped, but did he paddle the other times?

Usually a vet will say to just watch them after 1 seizure. A lot of dogs have just 1 seizure and will never have them again. But after the 2nd he should have gone to the vet, and definitely after the 3rd. The vet would have probably kept him over night and could have stopped that 3rd seizure.

It's probably too late now for the vet to find out "why" he had the seizures. Did he get into anything that they know of? Does he have access to any loose medications or cleaning products...did he have anything unusual in his diet that day? A lot of different things can trigger seizures...was it the day of the eclipse, or a full moon? The vet could do bloodwork, but it will most likely not tell them anything. We did bloodwork after Topaz's first seizure and it was completely normal.

After the seizure, that confused, searching period is called the post ictal stage. The length of time this lasts and the intensity varies from dog to dog and I believe even from seizure to seizure. Topaz had 4 seizures a couple weeks ago and his post ictal stage was longer than the last one he had in April. Topaz gets confused, but thankfully doesn't run around or try to harm himself. The important thing to do after (and during) a seizure is to stay calm and keep the dog calm. Turn the lights off, hold, and pet the dog. Talk to him in a soothing voice. Don't leave him unintended and if you have other animals...keep them away if possible.

I would take him to the vet, get a blood panel done and talk to the vet about canine epilepsy and medication options. I, personally, wouldn't put him on meds right now...but if he has another seizure within a month of these ones, I'd definitely consider it. If nothing else, get the seizures in his record and have a conversation with the vet about epilepsy.

It's hard to say if he will have them again or not. It could be an isolated incident, but maybe not. A lot of the times canine epliepsy is treatable by medication...some dogs seize on a regular basis and some are more sporatic, like our dog who went almost a year between seizures and then has had a few every few months. It's a scary thing to see, but if you remain calm and know the dog is not hurting or in pain, then it will get better to care for him.

Here's a page on my blog that I wrote about canine epilepsy and our experience with it http://www.peargirly.com/blog/canine-epilepsy/

Also, I have a blog for my dog, it's my seizure journal: http://topazseizures.blogspot.com/

Feel free to ask me any questions. I know there are also a few other people on the board who's dogs have seizures, they may come by and add more to what I've said.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts