Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As usual, I'm probably overthinking this, but once I get moved to our new house in Oct and will then have a full-size extra freezer that I can use, I'd like to switch Cobber to raw. My question is, if he has an allergy to poultry in kibble, which is a cooked product, would this necessarily mean he'd be allergic to raw chicken/turkey as well? I do realize that I could just try feeding it to him and see what happens, but now that his poop issues are -- shall we say -- firmed up since I've gotten him off poultry-based kibble, I'm concerned that feeding him raw chicken might really stir things up again. Just wondered if anyone who has/had food-allergic dogs was able to feed the raw version to those same dogs with no problems?

Ahhhh, sorry about the typo in the title - raw feeDing....

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
From what I understand, no, it's not NECESSARILY going to cause the same issues as cooked poultry protein. The cooking alters the proteins enough that a dog can react to a cooked protein but not the raw, and vice versa. That being said, if you want to transition him onto another meat like pork first, then try adding a tiny bit of raw chicken at a time to see what happens, that may be an easier option. Chicken is recommended as a first meat because it's cheap and has lots of small, soft, easy to chew bones (to help firm up stools if a pup has some tummy upset during the change), but it doesn't ABSOLUTELY have to be the first protein you try!

Also, jealous of your future freezer space!

Source: Feeding full/partial raw for a year, and doing several years of obsessive research about it beforehand... well before I ever had a dog :laugh:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I had issues feeding Luke kibble with chicken but he eats raw chicken fine. From my reading I believe that is pretty typical like DaySleepers said.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
DaySleepers has given you some great information. As far as I know, it totally depends on the dog (just like how some dogs that are allergic to chicken will be allergic to all things with feathers, while others with chicken allergies can eat turkey, duck, etc. with no problems. Nova can't eat cooked or raw chicken without a raging reaction.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
yup, an old daycare dog at my work was severely allergic to chicken in kibble, but ate raw chicken just fine, just keep in mind that this is not ALWAYS the case. every dogs I have ever had that had protein allergies(which is...2 dogs lol) has been allergic to that protein in all forms.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Toby breaks out into hives and loses his fur over kibble-chicken but *has* had the occasional chicken piece from someones plate with no issue - presently though, this has changed a lot and he now DOES react.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Raw feeding zealots and proselytizers will often make the claim that allergies don't exist when the protein is raw. This is scientifically impossible. If an animal is allergic to a protein it is a chemically-based issue and it makes no difference whether the protein is cooked or raw. It is all politics.

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
My two guys were still having reactions to the raw chicken/beef as they did with kibble sourced out other proteins for raw and didn't try to re-introduce the chicken/beef until almost 2 years later.. might of been able to do it sooner but they were reaction free on food why mess with it as a reaction would start a chain reaction in them that lasted longer to calm down again.. Think the main thing is to get them calmed down, let the body heal what it can...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate reaing about others' experiences with this issue. When I get to the point of actually switching Cobber over to raw, I will definitely not start with poultry. Why tempt fate, right? :) I can always try a little bit once he's stable on something else.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Someone on my cat forum has a cat who couldn't eat chicken in kibble or canned. . .she started raw and he couldn't have chicken then either. . .but then she started buying antibiotic-free, vegetarian-fed chicken (not even organic, free-range, pastured, etc, just the regular antibiotic-free and vegetarian-fed stuff from the grocery store) and he can eat that without any problems. So really it's hard to know exactly what the body is reacting to, it's worth some experimentation I think.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Someone on my cat forum has a cat who couldn't eat chicken in kibble or canned. . .she started raw and he couldn't have chicken then either. . .but then she started buying antibiotic-free, vegetarian-fed chicken (not even organic, free-range, pastured, etc, just the regular antibiotic-free and vegetarian-fed stuff from the grocery store) and he can eat that without any problems. So really it's hard to know exactly what the body is reacting to, it's worth some experimentation I think.
I've noticed that since so much of chicken and pork in grocery stores is saline "enhanced" that dogs seem much more likely to have problems with that than with the protein in and of itself. I carefully avoid any meats with added sodium both for me and the dogs and it seems to be to the benefit of all of us.

So it may not be so much that a change from a chicken based kibble to raw chicken matters in terms of the form of protein but rather what else is added to it during processing.

Also, if a dog has only tried two or three chicken based kibbles, it may not be the chicken but rather some other common ingredient between the ones tried.

I don't feed all raw but I do feed it sometimes and I have started a dog straight onto beef because that's what I had (beef tripe and trachea and gullet and whole ground beef and beef heart) and she did fine with that. Not all dogs will of course, but other meats are an option basically.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts