Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My family and I are getting over the loss of our sweet Golden Retriever a few months ago and were looking to try a smaller breed this time. We are thinking of getting a Papillon puppy from a neighbor's sister who breeds them and I have a few questions. I knew nothing about this breed until recently, when we fell in love with our neighbor's dog. I'm waiting to hear from the breeder herself, but my neighbor said that her sister's dog has had 17 puppies total! I'm thinking that that is too many for the mother to have but I am not sure. Also, she just had a litter about 8 months ago as my neighbor has one of the dogs from that litter. I'm wondering if this could affect the health of the puppies if she has had too many litters. I understand that Papillons only have maybe 2-3 puppies per litter, so if she has had 17 puppies total, that makes for quite a few litters.

If anyone can shed some light on this subject for me, it would be much appreciated. I haven't been able to find anything online regarding this matter. Also, any other advice for a potential first-time Papillon owner would be appreciated. They seem like amazing dogs. Thank you in advance for your help!

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
It does not sound like a good situation from what you describe.

There are breeders known as reputable breeders (good ones) and backyard breeders (bad ones). I would do some looking into what kind of breeder this woman is, because it's not sounding good.

A reputable breeder (good breeder) would probably only be breeding each female they may own one a year, if that. All dogs that they have that are being bred (both female and males) would be titled in conformation or a working sport familiar to the breed. For papillons, you'd be looking at champions in conformation. Along with having titles on all of the dogs, they health test them for specific diseases and issues common in the breed. For instance, in German Shepherds they would need to get x rays and have their hips and elbows certified with a company for quality. I am not sure what you would health test for in a Pap, but I'm sure someone else can chime in on that.

The reputable breeders always breed dogs to their dogs that bring out the good qualities and lessen the areas of their dog that need improvement. The require adoption contracts, sometimes spay/neuter contracts, and will often microchip their puppies before they leave. Many good breeders pick out the pup for you because they know the temperment best and what would fit into your lifestyle. They ALWAYS keep the puppies until at least 8 weeks old, and prices are very often $1,000+

Buying from backyard breeders is a bad idea and frowned upon for many reasons. The health of the dog is at stake often, because they have not been health tested and you have no idea what they could be suffering from or prone to via their pedigree and parents. They're putting dozens of dogs into the world for no real purpose. They haven't been titled so you have no idea if they even fit the breed standard, so they may as well be breeding mutts. Along with this, most backyard breeders are not sure of where their pups ultimately end up and many of them will be ensured to wind up in shelters, adding to the pet over-population, and resulting in more dogs euthanized every year, whereas responsible breeders make you sign a contract to bring the dog back to them during any point in their life should you not be able to keep them, to prevent their dogs' lines from ending up in shelters.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts