Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have had a female Jack Russell for ten years now. On Wednesday we sadly must put her to sleep because of medical issues and it being "time"

About 5 weeks ago, we adopted a male Beagle from the local pound. He has been a GREAT dog and we are lucky to have him. He is a "pup" at under two years old.

He and my ten year old female get along very good. In fact, the beagle is very close with my female already, and is more of a "dogs dog" he loves all dogs, especially her. They do not sleep together, but spend a good two hours a day playing together. So I would not say that after five weeks they are "inseperable" but the male really loves her and other dogs.

I am planning on simply working with the beagle after the ten year old is put to sleep...before getting another dog. I need time to deal/grieve with the jack russell being put down and I'd also like some one on one time to get the beagle fully where we want him to be with his training.

My question is this....how to make this easier on the beagle? We are doing a home burial at a friends farm after the vet puts her to sleep. Should the beagle be involved with this (come to the burial)? Or should we just take the female to the vet and come home without her while he waits at home?

Any thoughts? I want this to be as "easy" as possible for him.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Oh goodness... how sad... I'm so sorry!! If it were me, I'd absolutely have the beagle at the burial so that he understands what has happened. He will still miss her, but he will realize that she's gone... instead of waiting for her to come back some day (which will break your heart even more).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the reason I ask for others thoughts is also because years ago I had two Goldens. Anyways they were together as best friends for about two years, then one day both got hit by the same car. The bigger younger Golden died, while the older made it.

The older Golden was with us as we buried the other, etc. He was badly affected by the loss of this dog and had trouble eating for the rest of his life. He had no "will" to eat and each night we coaxed him piece by piece. I don't want this happening for my beagle. I plan on keeping my spirits up and doubling up on walks as well.

Thank you so much for your suggestion, more thoughts and ideas to help get this beagle through it are appreciated. He did just get out of a pound five weeks ago so he already has gone through a major life change and come out pretty dang good!

·
Registered
61 Posts
We had two Beagles.....until last January. Our Sassy(6yrs.) ruptured a disc. We went through with the surgery but the result was not successful. We had to relieve her suffering. When we went to do this I insisted our other beagle, Monty(8yrs), went with us. The four days Sassy was in the hospital he would hide in my closet and look for her to come in the door. They got to visit one last time and was with her afterward. He was mopy and sad for awhile, but he never looked for her again. I hate to think how long he would have kept looking for her. I think it is best that they see what happened to their friends. It is a sad thing for all.

I'm sorry for what you have to go through.

Tricia

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I'm not quite sure how to deal with it.
J.C. is 10 months old now... we got him in August. Lady was 15 when we got him and for whatever reason they instantly bonded. In the beginning of September Lady turned 16. In the week before Christmas her health went down hill fast. She spent her last few days laying on her bed with J.C.. He brought her his toys and ate his food with her. It was cute, yet sad. It was almost as if he knew her time was coming.
He still misses her and looks for her. He gets on her old bed and sleeps on it. Whenever we go outside he has to check for her before he can go pee.
Lady was buried here, but the dogs were not present.

Sorry I have no advice for you. I'm really not sure how to deal with dogs' grieving either.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I would take the Beagle to the vet so he could be present at the euthanization and I would take him to the buriel as well. It would seem to me that, the more information he has, the less likely it is he will be waiting in vain for his companion to return.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts