Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember me posting about my JR, GSP mix that the wife and I adopted a few months back.. Or about my wife's 2 little devil dachshunds... :p

Anyway, She's doing great... The only thing that puzzles me is, off-leash she heels great, stays by my side the entire time. But as soon as I put a leash on her she wants to pull.

It's not as bad as it used to be but I just find it weird that she wants to walk ahead when she's on a leash. But not when she's off...

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Hmm, that is strange. It sounds as though she's just not very accustomed to the leash, or she doesn't like it. Try puting a really light-weight nylon one on her and letting her drag it around the house for a while.

If that doesn't work, try regular leash training. But I doubt you'll need to do that, seeing as she already heels great off-leash. :)

She's so pretty!! You're lucky to have her. :)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Hehe, she looks like a GSP that shrunk in the wash. Cute!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
She's adorable!

Regarding the pulling -- yeah, that is a little strange. I'm not sure exactly why she's doing it, but to remedy the situation I'd just start from scratch and train her the same way you would any other dog who couldn't walk on a loose leash. Check out the sticky on loose leash walking... that should solve things. She may have been conditioned to pull on leash somehow, I don't think it would be that hard to imagine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts