Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A roommate just moved into my house, and he has a 7-yo mini-daschund named Peanut. This is my first time living with a dog. I am so delighted. Peanut always wants me to rub his belly and I always oblige.

Gradually it seems like Peanut is getting more attached to me. Note: he seems to have some separation anxiety, because he cries and howls when his owner is away, and stays vigilant at the door until he returns.

Anyway he seems to be getting more attached to me. At first all he did was approach me for belly rubs. Then he started hopping into my lap and giving me kisses.

His owner says that whenever they get back from a walk, Peanut goes to my bedroom door to check if I'm in. If he can smell me or hear me, he looks satisfied.

We also "talk." When he makes soft sounds like the one that sounds like "huh?" (anyone know what I mean?) I growl along with him. Our voices are in about the same range.

Today he hopped into my lap. Instead of petting I felt like just sitting with him, so I just put my arm around him and relaxed. Then he started to lick the inside of my thigh (uncomfortably near my crotch, very strange). He licked so much he got my shorts damp.

So I am here to ask what this means.

Note that I am pretty much the only person in the house who always rubs his belly or pets him when he asks for it (or "demands" it). The owner, of course, can't spend all day petting him, and the other people in the house don't pay him much attention. So I'm sure he likes me for that! He probably thinks he has trained me, which is actually true. I wonder how this affects the way he thinks of me.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
He likes you! You pet him and play doggy games with him, so Peanut thinks you're pretty awesome, and shows his affection through licking. Don't worry about where he licks, dogs aren't sexual, though you can certainly move him to another area if you want.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
He's just being friendly. Dogs don't care much about where they lick as long as they get to. If it makes you uncomfortable you can just shift him to another spot.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
... Then he started to lick the inside of my thigh (uncomfortably near my crotch, very strange). He licked so much he got my shorts damp.

So I am here to ask what this means.
Well, you've got to understand that for a dog, the sense of smell is by far the one that is the most important. Much more important than sight or hearng. It's hard for humans to comprehend just how important that is to a dog.

Dogs even "taste" by their sense of smell. Thet don't have nearly the number of taste buds that humans and some other animals do. They do, however, have a specal organ in their mouth that picks up the molecules in their food - or on their tongue - and "converts" them to a particular scent.

So what your dog is doing is creating a 'scent picture' of you. Just like you wouldn't only look at someone's ears or only at their shoes but at their whole appearance to build up a picture of them, you dog is doing the same thing but with scent rather than sight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts