Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup Loki has Demodectic mange and was prescribed Ivomec to help get rid of this problem. The last few days he has been lethargic, has diarrhea and sleeps constantly. He slept so hard last night he went himself instead of waking up to go out. My vet said she wanted to give him a test for EPI. Since it was an expensive test I decided to google the side effects of Ivomec and it seems his symptoms which prompted my vet to recommend a test for EPI are also the side effects for Ivomec. I was also alarmed at the dosage she is having me give to my dog.

The dosage went like this;

Day 1: 0.1CC
Day 2: 0.25CC
Day 3: 0.4CC
Day 4: 0.5CC
Day 5: 0.6CC daily with weekly rechecks of weight to determine dosage after.

Everything Ive read says that the proper oral dosage says it should be 0.1CC per 10lbs. My puppy is 4.5 months old and weighs 27 lbs.

He is a lab that we rescued and had some parasites as well. He is a lanky pup that is underweight according to the vet but not malnourished. He was a bottle fed pup as well and hes pretty small for his breed.

Im very concerned that the amount of medicine we are giving him is too much and causing these issues he seems to have come up with.

Any comments would be appreciated!

·
Registered
232 Posts
We used Ivomec for the rez puppies we rescued (nearly all of them had some type of mange) they were never affected like that. I decided to do an experiment. We had a litter in which all had demodex. I'd done some research and decided to try something. I took one of the pups home, the other three were in another foster home. I did not give ivomec to the pup I took, I just fed a high quality (Acana) and supplemented with Salmon oil, Primrose oil, and something else, I cant remember off the top of my head, but you can find a ton of info on curing Demodex without the use of chemicals.

The pup recovered faster than the other pups who were fed Pro Plan and Ivomec, with no supplements. I only did that once, and the Pres didn't believe what she could see with her own eyes (she believes in the power of chemicals) and didn't let me try again (she didn't want to be proved wrong, I expect) so I cant tell you if it was just a one-off, or if it actually does work better than loading a pup up with chemicals, but many believe it does. I would have loved to try a few different pups. Demodex is an immune system problem, boost the immune system (if you can), and you cure the problem

·
Registered
583 Posts
Coins ,
Sounds like your dog is having a toxic reaction to the Ivomec. I would stop immediately.

This is what I do for dogs that can not tolerate the Ivomec.
Look around and find some Promeris , but , largest dog weight size application for 6 mos you can find.
Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Promeris-fo...ultDomain_0&hash=item2ebf4e73ab#ht_500wt_1156

Drain content into very small screw top bottle and dose by dog weight according to Pfizer the mfg. For mange it is dosed every 2 weeks. ( use dosing syringe)

oldhounddog

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
It does indeed sound like your dog is having a bad reaction to the ivomec as that is a 'normal' dose for dogs with demodex at that age/weight. I agree with discontinuing the Ivomec, call the vet NOW and let them know you suspect he dog is having a reaction and ask for an alternative medication so they can work out the PROPER dose (do NOT try to dose yourself)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts