Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our schitzu just passed away after 12 wonderful yrs. What a great companion & friend he was. We want to get another dog from the same breeder in Wisconsin because her dogs are bred for excellent, gentle temperament, to be great with kids, very little barking, high levels of intelligence. Getting a dog locally in the Florida area , therefore, is not an option. So here is our dilemma...

Should we fly the pup from Wisconsin to Florida using Delta Blue Ribbon Pet transport where the dogs are kept in a special temperature- and pressure-controlled compartment. They get the fastest connections and the trip will be about 6 hrs.

Or...

Should I fly up to Wisconsin, pickup the pup and bring him back in the cabin with me, under the seat, about 8 hours.

Or...

Should I drive up and pick up the pup and drive her back down to Florida, a long two-day trip with a motel stop overbite.

Our concern is ... which is best for the puppy (mentally & physically)? And, is it better for the pup to go thru the trauma of air travel and NOT associate it with me. My wife feels that by picking the pup up at the airport, the pup will associate us with safety, comfort and calm. She feels that the 'driving' or 'flying-up-to-get -him' options put me in the position of being associated with his travel trauma.

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ADVICE and OPINIONS. Thanks in advance sharing.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
I don't think there is any trauma to flying a pup. But I would vote for traveling with the dog whether it is by plane or car.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Personally, I would drive. Find a pet-friendly hotel, and book a room. Take some food, bowls, toys, etc. etc.
That way your pup can be with you, supervised, can stop for potty breaks, can have a meal, etc.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Done the flying for 3 of my guys and always chose the fastest routes and they have been fine for the experience. J was transported through a network of handlers from one show to the next from Canada to her destination in NM and she was a mess for a 3 week journey.. terrified of getting into a vehicle even after 6 months of trying from her first owners, total car sickness.. Took me another year after I got her, to where she likes to look out the window and enjoy sitting up and not hugging the floor going for rides. She gets into the truck on her own and happy to go, but still has that sudden "fear" reaction when the vehicle starts to move even though she settles in ,, I don't think she will ever forget her first experience being negative. So am not sure a long vehicle ride for a dog who has never traveled in a vehicle before at all,, is always the best option over flying.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We just went through almost the same scenario as you did. Condolences on your little guy who passed, I'm sure it was heartbreaking.

We live in Fl and spend the summer in the mountains of NC. We wanted a puppy we wanted was in Mississippi so we drove 2 days to get there, then 2 days with the new pup in my lap (hubby drove) to NC. I think if I was to do it again, we'd fly and do the 8 hour option, just to arrive home sooner. The good thing, however, about driving with an 8 week old pup, is that they sleep a lot. Plus, the first day for us on the road, the breeder gave Rafa a Dramamine because she knew we had a long drive and was not sure if he'd be a car-sick puppy or not. So that really knocked him out. Anyway, I'd fly. Enjoy your new baby.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts