Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been viewing many YOUTUBE videos of dogs being trained on E-collars and am curious as to what happens when the dog fails to obey commands when not wearing the E-collar? Does the learning work so well that the dog never disobeys a command once taught with the use of a E-collar?

I know that a dog taught with corrections may need a reminder at times and those that are taught with food will need some rework also. For those of you who use a E-collar do you need to keep a E-collar handy and charged just in case you need to put it on the dog to do some touch up?:confused:

·
Registered
10,534 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I'm not opposed to punitive forms of training as some other people on here are, but I'm not a fan of e-collars. It's a very severe way to training IMO and I think people are better off looking at other options about 95% of the time. I think it's a tool to be used by expert trainers if at all.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I am interested primarily on the subject of maintaining the training when using a E-collar.
I think you should be more worried about starting a dog with an e-collar and if you have or know how to start a dog, the maintaining of training is comparitively easy. If you do not know how to start a dog then other info is useless. I have used e-collar and I would not explain use because dogs I have used an e-collar on are not your dog or dogs and it would not be something to bounce around online.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The first thing I'd like to say is please don't try to train your dog on an e-collar by watching videos. Using an e-collar incorrectly can harm your dog and create more behavior/fear problems than you realize (proper timing is CRITICAL), and should not be taken lightly or used to make training easier/quicker.

I learned how to use mine by finding an experienced trainer in the area and working with him on using it correctly. It was only used to reinforce the 'here' command. Mine go off and chase critters in the woods and can get so focused they didn't want to give up the chase and come back (really high prey drive) so they needed that extra incentive. They don't wear the collar unless they start to have issues again, and then it only takes one or two times to remind them that not coming back is unacceptable. I use the lowest setting that gets their attention, each dog is different, and I've put it on myself so I know what they feel. My unit also has a pager (more vibration) and nick mode that can be used as opposed to the constant stimulation. Thankfully it's a good while (months) before they need it again. I do carry the collars with me just in case.

·
Banned
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Geeze everyone get a grip of yourself please!

I do not need to use a e-collar myself and never implied that I would or was. I could see where they might have a value in some special cases but that is not the point of my interest, curiousity, or question.

Geeze I just wanted someone to give me some idea as to how dog training on a E-collar is maintained when the dog decides to cross the boundary having been taught on E-collar. I do not see on the videos where the dog is wrenching in pain as everyone seems to be saying.

Thats all.

I really did not expect to be told how bad E-collars are.

Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
The first thing I'd like to say is please don't try to train your dog on an e-collar by watching videos. Using an e-collar incorrectly can harm your dog and create more behavior/fear problems than you realize (proper timing is CRITICAL), and should not be taken lightly or used to make training easier/quicker.

I learned how to use mine by finding an experienced trainer in the area and working with him on using it correctly. It was only used to reinforce the 'here' command. Mine go off and chase critters in the woods and can get so focused they didn't want to give up the chase and come back (really high prey drive) so they needed that extra incentive. They don't wear the collar unless they start to have issues again, and then it only takes one or two times to remind them that not coming back is unacceptable. I use the lowest setting that gets their attention, each dog is different, and I've put it on myself so I know what they feel. My unit also has a pager (more vibration) and nick mode that can be used as opposed to the constant stimulation. Thankfully it's a good while (months) before they need it again. I do carry the collars with me just in case.
Basically what you did is told him not to use collar and then gave OP instructions on how to use collar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.