Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So It's a closed thread I guess I can't ask questions on it.

I'm now quite convinced my dog is a border collie mix. LOL

When going through the Doggie Zen exercises, we went through steps 2 through 6 last night in about a half hour. Is this the plan? Or should you be drawing it out over time. Jake seems to be picking it up really quickly. Some of the exercises he picked up after only 2 times I think. So do I keep proceeding as fast as he is learning, or should I hold up and stick to steps for some period of time do you think? What is recommended? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I to have a dog that can fly through the steps.

I have found that while they can do the action at the time it is not yet a learned behavior.

I think that the idea is that you take one step at a time and then do a cold run.

So you do step 2 and once your dog appears to really know the step, stop.
Then the next morning or later in the day come back and ask for step 2 again and if the dog can do say 6-10 times right off then they know that step sufficiently.

If you run through the steps in one evening its hard to cold run each step to make sure it is truly learnt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right. That was my concern. Okay. Thank you much.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Most people would consider a behaviour "learned" if they get it right 8 times out of 10. As Katie said though, try them "cold" when you're not officially training them. You'll also want to "generalize" the behaviour by practicing in different situations. Try different treats, different rooms, holding your hand/treat at a different height, try it on the coffee table, see if she'll do it for another person, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it. I'll keep working with him. He's a super fast learner, the only thing I'm having a hard time getting through to him about is the aggression he's showing to other dogs/people, especially when my kids are around. He's only been with us a week but he's super protective.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts