Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to this so forgive me if this is in the wrong spot. I have been working on crate training my 9 1/2 week old soft coated wheaton terrier. She cried relentlessly throught the night for 5 nights straight, then we moved her to our bedroom and she is fine except to get up twice during the night to pee. My problem is when i leave her for short periods during the day. She absolutely hates being left. She cries and howls and even at times pees her crate.

The crate is sectioned off to give her just enough room turn around and sleep. There was a comfortable memory foam mat in there for her, but this is absolutely the last one i am going to buy. I would wash the outside of the mat and spray the foam with odor killing spray i got from petco the first few times, then thought the smell of her pee might be making her want to go in there so i would throw it out and buy a new one.

I got her a week and half ago and the last few days I have been taking her out then putting her in crate for 10 minutes while I leave, then 20 minutes, then 30 mintues. She would cry and howl the entire time and at the 30 miunte mark would pee her crate. I am not sure how to make her comfortable with being in her crate while i leave.

I head back to work next week and have a a dog walker coming 3 times during the day. I leave at 7:30 and get home at 5:30. The dog walker comes at 9am for 20 mintutes, 12pm for 30 minutes and at 3:00 for 20 minutes.

I am desperately trying to get her used to being in her crate ALONE for some short periods of time but she absolutely hates it.

Is there any advice?

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
I hope you did your research on a SCWT. They aer a pure bundle of adrenaline!!!! I wouldn't put the puppy into the crate until it was thoroughly tired out from a good long walk or romping play session. Honestly, I've never known a SCWT that was quiet.

Don't get discouraged. Just realize that you ahve a breed that will require more work than others. I would highly suggest finding some puppy and obedience classes ASAP. You are going to need some suggestions and lots of tricks in your bag to handle your little pup.

I love SCWT but many of them show up at our shelter because they can be so hyper and destructive. One had been re-homed 6 times in 3 years. And the final owner has been putting up with the dog tearing the screen door when put outside, clawing at the carpet, bounding over glass topped tables, jumping up on the dining room table, ...oh my gosh...they have so much energy. But given the chance to get that energy out and properly trained...SCWT are the sweetest dogs.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I was completely clueless on crate training so I asked a friend of mine who crate trained his pitty. He suggested leaving the door open for the dog so they could go in and out while their people are home. Praise the dog when she goes into the crate and lays down. After a while of her going in and out of the crate on her own, just shut the door. Don't latch it, that way she can push it open if she gets scared. After she is comfortable with the door being closed you can latch it and start leaving her in their for short periods. This approach takes time, but it works.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My family got a SCWT two years ago, and I was home for the summer so I know ALLL about the crazy puppy stage. Our wheaten got used to the crate at night and slept downstairs in the crate by herself for about a year. She never really got over the crying and barking when we left though. My parents had a lot more success when they gated her in the kitchen. She is afraid of the gates and doesn't try to escape or eat anything in the kitchen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an Australian Cattle Dog puppy, I got her at 7 weeks old and she's now 17 weeks old. I've had her in a kennel from day one. She had some trouble with barking, whining, and carrying on. I just tried putting different things in the kennel. One night she was carrying on and I woke up dead tired and groggy and grabbed some fleece jacket out the the closet and threw it in there, and ever since then, she never cries in there. I also agree with the whole making the kennel a place they want to go. Now if she gets tired, she'll just go right in her kennel for bed. Hope this helps. Another thing, like what briteday said, where the dog out a bit, they're easier to deal with that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts