Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
We have an 11 week old Cavalier King Charles, We have only had him a week but have been following a fairly strict routine of cage - outside toilet - inside play - cage since last Friday.

This seems to be working, we get very few accidents in the house and he always goes when we take him outside.

However, we have confined him at this point to the kitchen, and we dont let him "play around" in the kitchen by himself if we are not there or if we are busy in that room. Is this the right way to do it?

Basically, I want to know if we can allow our Puppy into the dining room/living room if we are sure he will not need to "go" (ie just after he has already been)

Many thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
I let my pup run the whole upstairs..which included the kitchen, living room, and bedroom. I only crated when I was gone, when I needed a break, or at night. The other times I let him roam around but would always keep a constant eye on him. You learn when your puppy is gonna go to the bathroom pretty quickly and you will learn to watch for the warning signs. Then just be sure to get him outside before he goes, and sooner or later that will be the only place he will want to go bathroom

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Hi
We have an 11 week old Cavalier King Charles, We have only had him a week but have been following a fairly strict routine of cage - outside toilet - inside play - cage since last Friday.

This seems to be working, we get very few accidents in the house and he always goes when we take him outside.

However, we have confined him at this point to the kitchen, and we dont let him "play around" in the kitchen by himself if we are not there or if we are busy in that room. Is this the right way to do it?

You - that is an excellent use for a crate even when you dog becomes an adult. just make sure that you DO let him out to get used to the rest of the house - juast so long as you can keep an eye on him.

Another thing you can do while working in the kitchen - maybe while you are peparing the meal - is to close tether him to you. That's only for a short period until he learns to be around you and not be completely underfoot or in your way.

Basically, I want to know if we can allow our Puppy into the dining room/living room if we are sure he will not need to "go" (ie just after he has already been)

Many thanks
Yes if you keep a close eye on him. He is much too young to be completely housetrained and he is still prone to making "mistakes". At this point, he probably does know what he should do, but he may not have physically matured enough to do it. The idea of "errorless housetraining" is to prevent mistakes before they happen rather than correcting mistakes afterwards. If you do your housetraining correctly, most dogs are basically OK by about four months.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I never used the crate as a potty training tool, I only used it to keep the puppies confined when I couldn't keep my eyes on them, or when I needed to leave. Other than that, they were out and about the house with the family, but under constant supervision. And, I mean, constant 100% eyes on the puppy type thing. So, if they wander around, you follow, and see what they are doing.

This way, you learn quickly what the signs are that they need to pee or poop: excessive sniffing around, or circling, or appearing agitated, and you can take them out before they have an accident. If you're watching closely enough, you should be able to prevent accidents.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I never used the crate as a potty training tool, I only used it to keep the puppies confined when I couldn't keep my eyes on them, or when I needed to leave. Other than that, they were out and about the house with the family, but under constant supervision. And, I mean, constant 100% eyes on the puppy type thing. So, if they wander around, you follow, and see what they are doing.

This way, you learn quickly what the signs are that they need to pee or poop: excessive sniffing around, or circling, or appearing agitated, and you can take them out before they have an accident. If you're watching closely enough, you should be able to prevent accidents.
This is exactly what we have done with our 16 week old pup. He has been with us for 3 weeks now, and is getting really good about going to the backdoor when he has to go out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your pups still too young to really hold it, and will still have a lot of accidents until 4 months. What I practiced with my dog was to ALWAYS keep an eye on her when she wasn't in her kennel, and would routinely take her out every two hours to do her business, and then after doing her business she would be allowed to walk around the house with my constant supervision. You should be able to tell when your dog has to go with enough practice, and then rush them outside "have your keys/shoes in an easy to reach spot to literally sprint outside to go and then immediate praise". I also found that having the same spot to go to for "going potty" worked well in helping her feel comfortable, and knows that when we go there, its for business not pleasure. As long as you remember that your dog can't hold it and if your dog goes inside the house, its because you didn't spot it to correct it, you can let them out with you. Like doxiemommy said, 100% eye contact at all times, because itll be that 30 seconds you dont watch that they'll have an accident and you lose the opportunity to train and correct the habit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts