Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
We found our puppy on craigslist, and with anything, it can work well or terribly. It worked very well for us. We have a great dog, communication with the people we got her from, and they definitely wanted to do right by their accidental litter of puppies.

But, with everything, buyer beware.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I posted a wanted ad on craigslist for the kind of dog I was looking for and now I have Kaki. She's a total doll and I don't know what I'd do without her. However, her owners did omit a lot of info about her but people do that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think craigslist is a great idea to look.
You can actually go to the house and SEE the conditions in which the dog lives. + If their nice, who knows, maybe you can bring your puppy back over there for play dates..

Craiglist = 2 thumbs up for me

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I view craigslist as just like the newspaper...you have people getting rid of their pets and they may not always be truthful about why that is. Just use common sense.

I've rescued a Guinea Pig off of craigslist (who found a wonderful home!), a ferret off of hoobly (who also found a loving and caring home), and my recent rescue was a pregnant Pug mix off of hoobly (who was from a puppymill and will be off to her foster home tomorrow!).

·
Banned
749 Posts
I found Lola on Craigslist. I did not go see her and see her living conditions as someone suggested above. Instead they came to me to see what kind of living conditions she would be living in. It worked out well and they were truthful and upfront.

When they came over they had stayed for an hour or so only to return, not once but twice. They were having second thoughts both times. The first time they returned they did not even leave the parking lot. The second time was about a half hour later after the first time. I then told them to come in and if they were concerned about how Lola was going to be taken care of they could call my sister and ask them how I am about taking care of animals.

After his wife had a 20 minute conversation with my sister she had said that you can have her but will be calling the next day to see how she is doing. She had also said that I would have to take her to a vet to get checked out and to have her spayed of which I did both.

The former owners had also seen Lola on several occasions and she had felt that Lola seems to be a lot happier with me than she was living there.

There was a rehoming fee but the rehoming fee was a bag of dog food that she could donate to a shelter.

Lola is a keeper and has really improved over what I was told her problems were. They were that Lola was always by the owners side and would follow her everywhere. Lola now could be in another room without me. She had also told me that Lola does not like small children. I have had her over my brother's house where he has 3 daughters ranging in age from 2-9 years and Lola loves them. Even gives kisses to the youngest.

All it took was a little retraining.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts