Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was looking into getting a corgi and had a pretty stupid question regarding their coat color (or possibly even texture, I'm really not sure).
So, is there anything that differentiates corgi A from corgi B? Corgi A is somewhat paler, while corgi B is a darker shade of red, and their fur doesn't seem to blend as much.
( More examples: A and B. )

I've been wondering about this for a while now, as I've been looking for a corgi similar to corgi B, with the very basic, bold reddish color, but I'm not sure what you'd call it. Is it a difference in coat color/texture? Do some breeders just breed them to look that way? Does it even matter? To me, a corgi is a corgi, and I'd be willing to get a corgi regardless of coat color, but I was curious as to if this actually mattered. Sorry if this is a super basic question, I don't know all that much when it comes to stuff like this. :)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Well, Dog a is in direct sunlight, while Dog B is in the shade. That right there can make a big difference in how their color appears in photographs.

You should check out the Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club of America. http://pwcca.org/ Lots of information there, including a list of breeders.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I guess I don't put too much stock in coat color unless you're looking for a conformation prospect. I mean, if its a color that is completely off standard or never found in the breed, that might be a little concerning, so check out the breed club standard if you're looking for a purebred dog.

The only time I worry about color is if breeders are selling dogs and saying things like "rare blue merle corgi!" or charging more money for certain coat colors, or even saying that a certain coat color that is not breed standard is some "new and rare" breed type. That might be the mark of a disreputable breeder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts