Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the results for blood work.

My 7 yr old lab ate, what we think was a half a pack of trident gum on Friday.

She didn't show any unusual signs that evening when we got home but took her in to the vet and they did a blood glucose test which came up normal.

Took her back in on Sunday to have blood work done and all of the scores came back normal except for her ALT (alanine aminotransfer) and the CREA (Creatinine). Those two were borderline normal/high.

They asked me to bring her back tomorrow to do another blood test so that they can compare her results. They said that sometimes dogs are borderline sometimes all their life but want to make sure so that's why the test tomorrow.

I am fine with having another test but am wondering wouldn't it be better to wait a week or so to do the test so that there is nothing in her system that could alter the results?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
No it would not better to wait. Xylitol can cause liver failure, and this can occur in less than 72 hours. So you do want to get those tests done.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
No it would not better to wait. Xylitol can cause liver failure, and this can occur in less than 72 hours. So you do want to get those tests done.
+1

I understand where you're coming from, but this is not a normal blood test. This is a test to monitor potential issues which can escalate rather quickly, if not monitored correctly.

Don't be surprised if there are more tests to follow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts