Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 7 months old miniature poodle. I am thinking about adopting Doberman Rotte mix puppy. Is it okay to have a large and small dog together? I live in house and I have backyard so physical space is not my concern. I am more worried about my poodle, since he may be outpowered by Doberman in few months. Any comments?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I know people who have Dobermans along with littles, but you need to work at it.

Dobes and Rotties are very active, physical breeds, and tend to be klutzy puppies who like to play rough. I'd be very concerned about the Poodle accidentally getting injured. Small breed puppies don't bounce, they break, and one wrong stomp or head butt from a 50+ pound puppy can result in a broken leg (or worse).

Another thing to consider is the gender of both your Poodle and the Dobe x Rottie puppy. Dobermans and Rotties, especially males, are prone to same sex aggression. I know that most good Doberman breeders will NOT sell a male pup to a home with a resident male unless the new owner has a lot of experience and is very dog savvy.

Also, there is just the fact that littermate syndrome is very real, and raising two puppies isn't twice the work, it's more like four or five times the work, because you have to do pretty much everything separately.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I know a Giant Schnauzer owner whose GS accidentally killed her other, toy dog by just running him over. No hostility. Just an unlucky collision - the small dog's back was broken, I believe. Just imagine roughhousing with with someone who's literally five to ten times your size. A bit daunting.

Lots of people have a little and a big and no negative outcomes, and lots of big dogs are good about adapting their behavior to interact appropriately with littles. But I personally would not do it by choice - too much vigilance required - unless the big dog was unusually lazy and unexcitable.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I would not. Not JUST because of size but because you really want the first dog to be bonded to you and to people and not to another dog. You are essentially taking on two puppies and that is a HUGE amount of work since most of the time they need to be trained separately and kept separately.

Wait until your first dog is older if you get a second dog. I would wait until dog #1 was 4 years old with the secondary reason that two dogs the same age become two geriatric dogs at about the same time. Vet expenses and the issues of geriatric dogs can be something to deal with as well at the OTHER end of the dogs' lives.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As someone who currently has an 11 month old and a 5 month old, I would follow the advice above. Two puppies at the same time is difficult.

I only ended up with a second one when my cousin was going to return his puppy (a pitbull) to the high kill shelter because he wasn't cut out for puppydom and the puppy had already become fast friends with my older puppy.

As explained above, you literally have to do 2 of everything and it ends up being way more work than either one if them would take by themselves.

I am lucky in that I have a more easy going job and two other adults in my household who decided to become jointly responsible for the new puppy. As much as I adore Otter and now can't picture life without him, if my brother and boyfriend had not agreed to step up involvement in dog life then I don't think I could have done it.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your comments! They were very helpful!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts