Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this morning I woke up to take my puppy of to the bathroom, i noticed his 3rd eyelids were showing on both his eye more then normal but he was awake. he looked like he had Cherry Eye...it wasnt bothering him so i put him back to bed...then he woke up and it significantly reduced in how much of the 3rd eyelid was showing... hes mix but narrowed down to either boxer, pitt or am bulldog..

He has been fine since he acually woke up for the day but when he turns his head a certain way i can see the eyelid still, any idea on what could cause this?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Sometimes if my dogs are tired or have just woken up the 3rd eyelid is very visible. I can almost always see it a little bit in the corner of their eyes. If it seems like it is staying out more than it should consult your vetrinarian, even just a phone call, to see if they think it is a problem. He could possibly have the start of an eye infection, or even just some mild allergies that are bugging his eyes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes if my dogs are tired or have just woken up the 3rd eyelid is very visible. I can almost always see it a little bit in the corner of their eyes. If it seems like it is staying out more than it should consult your vetrinarian, even just a phone call, to see if they think it is a problem. He could possibly have the start of an eye infection, or even just some mild allergies that are bugging his eyes.
thanks for the reply, this morning he was fine, no problem, seems like he had an allergic reaction to something... thanks again!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Just make sure you keep an eye on it, if he DOES develop Cherry eye, the quicker it gets corrected the more successful the surgery.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Just do NOT let the vet remove the tear duct, tacking is almost always the most desirable and best surgery for the dog. The only time the duct should be removed is if it gets too weak to be tacked, so only as a last resort.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just do NOT let the vet remove the tear duct, tacking is almost always the most desirable and best surgery for the dog. The only time the duct should be removed is if it gets too weak to be tacked, so only as a last resort.
Can you tell me why? will it cause future problems?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Tear duct removal has a high incedence of dry eye and corneal ulceration. Keeping the tear duct in place can prevent these conditions (though an untreated cherry eye can also cause corneal ulceration due the exposre of the duct).

IF the dog ends up needing this surgery, I'd try to find a vet that does ALOT of the operations, usually one with a lot of Bully breed clients. If you end up needing direction to one, let me know. I direct you to a great site to help you find one in your area.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tear duct removal has a high incedence of dry eye and corneal ulceration. Keeping the tear duct in place can prevent these conditions (though an untreated cherry eye can also cause corneal ulceration due the exposre of the duct).

IF the dog ends up needing this surgery, I'd try to find a vet that does ALOT of the operations, usually one with a lot of Bully breed clients. If you end up needing direction to one, let me know. I direct you to a great site to help you find one in your area.
OK great, thanks for your help! If i should need assitance i will PM you, thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts