Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace my dogs' tags. They have the "new" ones from PetSmart, and while the back side with the clear sticker has lasted, the fronts have taken some beatings. I'm also making excuses to myself so I can half justify buying them both some nice tags. :D

I know and love Fetching Tags, and know that they have quite a few loyal customers. I love the idea of customizing them for each of the dogs, and will probably agonize over their tag lines forever. ("I eat poop" while true, really isn't the most attractive for Deebs, gotta get creative!) Buuuut, I also enjoy the metal works ones all over Etsy - though I don't know the quality. :/

So, I was wondering... those of you that have ordered quality i.d. tags for your dogs, where did you get them? What do you like best about them? Has it lasted as long as you expected it to? Price?

I appreciate the help!

- would like it to be metal
- preferably stamped (hand or machine, I don't care) as the screen print usually comes off
- unique(ish)
- have different sizes OR can fit both an 11" poodle and a 17.5" Deebs

·
Registered
179 Posts
I got mine on Etsy. There are a lot of sellers who make really pretty metal tags. I have had them for just a couple of months, but so far they are just as beautiful as when I got them. (contrary to the aluminium municipal tags which are barely legible now). The tags I got were copper (Maggie's is copper and another metal) and hand stamped.
Most sellers will say that their tags can fit the name and phone number, but if you want the address too, just ask. The seller I used added the address for free.
I paid around 10-12 dollars for them. There are some more expensive ones (the prettiest ones I found were $30-40) but I think the difference was mostly looks, not durability.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I like red dingo, but after seeing the boomerang tags I definately am going to be getting one for my big dogs (getting another dog after the move ^^ a giant schnauzer). I have noticed the quality of red dingo tags is also very nice and the stainless steel one I got for bean was engraved and has barely gotten a little dull and that's because I never clean it up. He has gone swimming with it and everything and it is still very nice, thick, and legible. They also make nice enamel ones that come in different colors. I have noticed those to be very durable too. I got one for my cat and she is constantly knocking it hard on things when she jumps around and stuff. Hasn't chipped once. I got an enamel tag at petsmart that said "squirrel patrol" for my passed miniature schnauzer and within a month or two it was chipping away leaving a bla grey steel tag with no color.

Something to think about if you want. I have had mine for almost two years now and the enamel one is in as good of shape as the day it arrived and the stainless one is just as good only slightly dirty and less polished from wear.

Boomerang tags do pay for shipping and all that though so that's pretty awesome lol. I guess I would go with them unless you wanted one of the enamel ones they offer. Lots of colors and pictures.

http://www.reddingo.com/

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Fetching tags are the best I have ever had. My digs have like 5 tags each because I'm dumb and didn't think about getting a clip to make it easy to change collars.

Anyway I've had tags from metalworks, bomerang, an unknown etsy seller and fetching tags.

Fetching tags have held up the best. The lettering is dark against the metal so its easy to read from a good distance away.
Doesn't scratch
So lite weight so whilst it jingles enough to here them coming its nothing like a normal loud tag.
It's so fun to choose the crazy taglines.
Also they have coupon codes come up as well as contests at least once a month. So like them on Facebook and you will soon get a $10 off each tag coupon.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Yea the Fetching Tags hold up great, too. I've had Pip's for... jeez probably somewhere around 3-5 years (can't remember exactly when I ordered it) and it's in great shape.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I like my Boomerang tags :) the fetching tags are nice, but I little too pricy when I have 5 dogs. Boomerang OTH knocked the price down for the multiple tags. I got 5 tags from Boomerang with shipping for less then I could have gotten a single tag from Fetchingtags.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Another Boomerang fan!

I get the plastic ones, double sided: On the front is name, address and phone numbers and on the back is, "IF I'M LOOSE, I'M LOST!"

Jen

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I noticed that on the rabies tag for my poodle/schnauzer (the other dogs don't wear collars, so their tags are in drawers) the edge that bangs against the collars buckle is fairly bent up, (like the whole edge of it is bent, I will get pictures later if I'm not explaining myself well enough). Does anyone have these problems with their rabies tags or other tags?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
LOVE Fetching Tags. I have three. For one dog. Kind of totally ridiculous, but show show much I love them. (I will say I got two of them for a really good deal due to the contests/giveaways/etc they have -- worth looking into).

I also love the tag I got from TagMeNow on etsy! It's sooo nice, sturdy, easy to read, deeply engraved. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I noticed that on the rabies tag for my poodle/schnauzer (the other dogs don't wear collars, so their tags are in drawers) the edge that bangs against the collars buckle is fairly bent up, (like the whole edge of it is bent, I will get pictures later if I'm not explaining myself well enough). Does anyone have these problems with their rabies tags or other tags?
I had that same problem with our tags. I was reading a magazine about a year ago I guess that suggested to take them into a shop and get them laminated. It cost me about $10 to have 5 tags done. Works great they no longer fade or get bent up. The tags also don't jingle anymore.

I LOVE Fetching Tags, and boomerangtags. My Min Pin has a reddingo tag right now and it is holding up very well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the replies!

The boomerang tags look a bit plain, or is that just me? Obviously, a dog tag doesn't need bells and whistles, and a quality tag is a quality tag. It is nice to know they have many loyal buyers, too. I will have to re-visit their website and take a closer look. Whatever type of tag I get, it will be the kind that comes with a split ring to attach to the D ring... while I love the idea of the tags that are flush with the collars, my dogs both have custom made collars and they wouldn't accommodate one of those. I don't mind the jingle, though... lets me know what my sneaky dogs are up to! ;)

I enjoy the "originality" of the Fetching Tags, but it is hard to justify spending $31 for a tag. Even if I got a $10 gift certificate, it would still be a $21 tag. Plus shipping, if that applies. I'm a bit torn on this. I've been a fan of the FT facebook for quite some time, but mainly because I liked reading everyone's tag lines! (And because I am nerdy, have read all 66 pages of the blog... so I recognize a lot of the DF dogs that have the tags! lol)

I will check out Red Dingo tags after I get done being long winded. I hadn't found them while google searching, so thanks for the suggestions on them! It's also good to know that TagMeNow is a decent quality etsy tag, I favorited a few of their tags last night, so that might be a front runner... unless I get some awesome deal on a FT.

Lots to think about! If anyone has other suggestions, keep 'em coming! :)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The boomerang tags look a bit plain, or is that just me?
they are not fancy, but they do look much better then they do on the website, I like fancy things for my dogs, so I was very hesitant on the boomerang tags for a very long time, I didnt like the examples on the website, but when I got them, I was very happy, they are simple, but actually pretty attractive :)

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies!

The boomerang tags look a bit plain, or is that just me?

:)
after having a dogs tags get stuck in a floor vent & another's get caught up on outside furniture, I prefer tags that don't jingle, don't hang down. My dogs don't wear collars inside either so a tag that adheres to the collar works best for me. Safer, IMO

1 - 18 of 18 Posts