Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps!

Before i start i want to say why i made this thread here and not in the dog food forums... I believe the GDF is way faster than the DFF and more people transit here.

Anyway...
I was talking with my mother, about the pups prudi gave birth to, and i was telling her that i would like to feed them natural balance for puppies at least until the puppies are gone to their new families.

So she tells me ''O.k, you can buy them that food with your money now that you got a few extra bucks, but we won't be buying quality food forever, it's too expensive'' (30 bucks for a 70.4 pound bag) Which would last us about 3 months..
But the usual 22lb bag costs us 10 bucks, so it's pretty relative... big bag of food for 30 bucks bought once every 3 months, equals 3 bags of 10 dollars each, bought every month..
She still says that 30 bucks ONCE every 3 months is a large kick in the groin for the rest of the grocery list.

I proceed to explain to her, that if we feed the pups, Prudi and Apollo the quality food, there won't be a need to feed the dogs as much as we feed them right now because their vitamin, mineral, and protein demand will be satisfied by the quality food; having in thought that when a dog has it's needs satisfied, there is no reason for them to eat as much.

She just gave me a kinda.. hypocrite ''mhmmmmm'' expresion and didn't tell me anything else..

So i ask if.. if you could give me the pros of buying quality food over average food? (We feed them Nutrum, but i'd like to upgrade to Natural Balance)

Thank you very much:) hope you can make my mom look into it in a positive way!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Fundamentally, it's the same reason why you eat what you do instead of eating bread and salt every day. It's healthier.

Can you afford the $30 per 3 months? I mean you, personally, not your family. It sounds like your mom is willing to feed the pups NB if you pay for it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still don't know because i don't have a regular income, plus i need to save up for my career.

But if i'm finally able to get a *decent* job, i might be able to spay prudi at last.

·
Registered
185 Posts
What if you ask your mom for the regular amount that she usually gives toward the dogs' food each month and you pay the difference?

I know that the first time you buy the food, you'll probably have to put out more of your ownmoney, but then, essentially, your mom would be paying her 10 dollars a month (if that's what she does now) and you could save it toward their next bag of quality dog food for the next time you need it

If like you say, it ends up being just about the same price as the less quality dog food, your mom wouldn't feel the bite in her wallet since she'd be doing what she usually does, except that you would be putting away that money while the dogs are eating their good food. She might even be paying for the whole amount except she wouldn't know it... and except for the first bag.

·
Registered
329 Posts
pro's of good dog food
In general they eat lesss BUT with a nursing mother and then weaning puppies they will be eating alot of food (well at least mine they go through alot and I have small dogs)
They have been health and less medical problems (this includes coat health)
They poo less because more of the nutrients are being absorbed

Now totally off topic have you purchased in advance a.. puppy playpen,extra bowls,toys,newspapers(for the poo),shots and vet exam money ...??? just curious

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pro's of good dog food
In general they eat lesss BUT with a nursing mother and then weaning puppies they will be eating alot of food (well at least mine they go through alot and I have small dogs)
They have been health and less medical problems (this includes coat health)
They poo less because more of the nutrients are being absorbed

Now totally off topic have you purchased in advance a.. puppy playpen,extra bowls,toys,newspapers(for the poo),shots and vet exam money ...??? just curious
We already had a puppy playpan and extra bowls from our past dogs (we keep them for sentimental value) newspapers are not a problem, i can get used newspapers from my mothers office, shot and vet exam money is being paid by the new owners (already found owners for all the pups :) )

Sophies Mom:

I could pay the difference, that makes sense... i'll be sure to talk about it with my mother, she might like the idea! Thanks

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Is NB the best food you can get down there. It is a fairly decent food though I wouldn't put it at the top of the list.

Also if this is what you want to feed I don't understand your mom's objection. You should do the math for her because the NB is cheaper from the prices you listed. Since you would be buying less often then there would be the $30 for another bag. Each time you don't get a $10 bag (for the 3 months) that adds up to $30 at the end of the 3 months.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I found that Premium dog food did a few things for me.

I fed less over all, so the price worked out the same (I feed Evo now) even tho Evo is more money per bag.

Beyond that, the Vet told me my dog looks beter than he ahs ever seen her look. He attributes this to the Evo. Better food usually means less need to go to the Vet.

Last, but not least, better dog food means greater utilization and less dog poop....

Evo costs me $38 a bag for 30 pounds. Canidae was running me $38 for 35 pounds.

I used to feed Abady and 35 pounds cost me $135. :eek: I only fed 3/4 a cup a day to a 95 pound GSD dog and her weight was perfect. She lived to be 14 BTW.. Feeding so little (it was a grainy looking meal w/o grains, not extruded kibble) I really did not see a budget difference except when I had to buy more.

I would feed Abady to this dog but she has a food intolerance to it. It is an amazing food.

I do not believe Abady ships to Mexico.. they are local to the Hudson Valley regions.. CT, MA, NY and NJ.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts