Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got Abbey on July 2nd, she is a 3 month old lab mix and the vet said I could slowly begin to incorporate home made fresh food into her diet by adding a table spoon at first and then gradually up the quantity of fresh food until she is finally on all home made meals instead of kibble. I was wondering if:

1: Do I need to be consistent with her new home made meals forever, or can I make several different recipes so she gets to have something new whenever I feel like buying her something else to eat. I am a culinary student and love this kind of stuff.

2: Should I be concerned with what I am now beginning to feed her? here is the recipe.

brown rice+diced carrots+diced sweet potato+peas+green lentils all mixed together for a nice rice and veggie salad (all steamed/cooked). Then I add cooked mince turkey for protein.

rice/veggie mixture = 55%
turkey = 45%

I am on a mission to find the perfect recipes for my dog and have her be as healthy as I can possibly have her. I was doing some research and I'm seeing a lot of ingredients that I am not sure if I she is getting from my food. (calcium, cod liver oil, other fats good for dogs, bone meal, etc.)

Can anyone help me with this? Abbey would really love to have healthy meals.

I love her so much.

:)

ps: I would love any recipe you feed your doggies.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
That is way to much veggies.

Dogs need meat, organ and bone not veggies.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I am not a nutrition expert, so I can't suggest the best recipe. But I might help with a little biology that will help your decision for food variety:

Dogs are omnivorous scavengers with a highly acid stomach, allowing them to eat many different items with comparatively minimal harm. Dogs do need vegetables, but not grain or corn, which you have wisely omitted. [ Cats are primarily carnivores.] Digestion is supported by a variety of friendly intestinal bacteria, changing in concentration depending on the type of feed. That is the major reason for slowly changing from one food to another, to allow the bacteria to catch up.

My dog is a Lab-mix, one of the goats of the canine world. In addition to various types of grass, he supplements his diet with other plants, grasshoppers, sticks, etc. I also give him a couple of raw carrots, twice a day (However, I primarily feed him commercial dry dog food.).

He's gotten bad diarrhea twice. Once was when I changed his food to an expensive brand with high protein - I imagine it was too rich for his system. The second time was when he killed a rat. He did not eat it, and it was not the first rat that he killed, but he got diarrhea (no other symptoms) for about a week afterwards.

I think his "iron constitution" is due to his choice of a wide variety of 'snacks.' So, my suggestion is that if you intend to do a varied diet, try to rotate the same main ingredients to minimize the need for bacteria changes.

·
Registered
395 Posts
That is way to much veggies.

Dogs need meat, organ and bone not veggies.
This exactly! No need to be adding all that extra stuff in, and no need to be cooking it either!:wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts