Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i'v noticed that one three different occasions their have been patches of fur missing on Maybe.. twice on her front legs and the end of her tail... it almost looks like it was cut with scissors....i'm just wondering if it's possible that she chewed it?! and if she did is this normal? what would cause a behavior like this? And how could i prevent it?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Do you use a Furminator type of deshedding tool on her? Those can cut the hair in such a way if you're not careful.

If that's not it, it's possible that she either rubs her hair there on something, or she may have chewed or scratched it. Are you with her often and observing her, and do you SEE her chewing or scratching much? I would check to see how her skin looks all over. Also, is she on a flea and tick preventative?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
um..#1.i don't brush her..she BARELY sheds at all. so thats not it
#2. There are no fleas and ticks where i live..it's too cold. so its not that either
#3. She usually spends a fair amount of time on her own in the yard..but i'v never noticed her scratching much......

i will check her skin and see if anything looks abnormal...thanks!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
#2. There are no fleas and ticks where i live..it's too cold. so its not that either

This is a common misconception. Fleas and ticks will still live on your dog (where it's warm) no matter how cold it is outside. If she has deer ticks on her you may not even be able to spot them.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok well i checked her skin..looks fine.. other than some dandruff..(that might be it????)

And no there really is no such thing as fea's or ticks where i live. (WAY north in Manitoba.) however when we travel south to ontario with her this summer i'll be sure to keep a close an eye on her for things like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts