Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stray Pyrenees I took in a of couple weeks ago is scheduled for spaying next week. I hate using E-collars/cones on dogs and have seen photos/vids/references where folks are using pool noodles around dogs' necks to prevent them from reaching surgical sites and stuff.

Does anyone have any opinions/tips/experience with using noodles or cloud collars, etc. instead of cones? She's a big ol' girl (85lbs) if that's relevant.

(Google: dog pool noodle cone)

·
Banned
166 Posts
The stray Pyrenees I took in a of couple weeks ago is scheduled for spaying next week. I hate using E-collars/cones on dogs and have seen photos/vids/references where folks are using pool noodles around dogs' necks to prevent them from reaching surgical sites and stuff.

Does anyone have any opinions/tips/experience with using noodles or cloud collars, etc. instead of cones? She's a big ol' girl (85lbs) if that's relevant.
(Google: dog pool noodle cone)
i'm not going to fib, i have no idea what pool noodles is. But i do know cones, or lamp shades as my vet refers to them. Them is the funniest/cutest thing a dog could wear, great conversation starters too. So yes, my vote is for the cone of silence... :LOL:

·
Registered
679 Posts
My experience has differed depending on the individual dog. Using a 'donut' (whether inflatable or home made with pool noodles) generally works when I'm trying to keep them away from something on their body (so, should in theory work to keep a spay incision safe) However, my Dinah has very long legs & is very 'flexible' so she can get at things on her legs & feet with just a donut. (or even just a cone - when I'm protecting her legs I have to double up & she wears her donut PLUS a cone!!)

·
Banned
166 Posts
Currently not a certified vet, so i'd need to do a little more research to confirm which contraption works better. But if i had to make a choice based solely on aesthetics, it'd be a no brainer...
vs

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My pup came home from the vet this afternoon, and I had her a segmented noodle collar all ready, made from an extra-thick noodle and an adjustable snap-strap from Amazon. I have enough material on hand to double or triple the donut, but hoping I won't have to.

I did a bit of research before deciding on that direction and as @BKaymuttleycrew says, the effectiveness of a donut collar really depends on the location of the wound and the flexibility of the dog. My vet apparently used a dissolving surgical glue to close the incision which, they say, tends to significantly reduce itching (as opposed to sutures or staples).

i'm not going to fib, i have no idea what pool noodles is. But i do know cones, or lamp shades as my vet refers to them. Them is the funniest/cutest thing a dog could wear, great conversation starters too. So yes, my vote is for the cone of silence... :LOL:
@stbob, you may have a point about the comedic value of cones, but I personally don't like them, so I was looking for an alternative. The donut/noodle collars attempt to restrict the dog's head movements and can keep some dogs from reaching some wounds.There are also recovery suits and wraps designed to cover the wound so even if the dog can reach it, he really can't damage it because it's covered up.
Hand Arm Gesture Finger Nail Dog Smile Carnivore Dog breed Liver

My experience has differed depending on the individual dog. Using a 'donut' (whether inflatable or home made with pool noodles) generally works when I'm trying to keep them away from something on their body (so, should in theory work to keep a spay incision safe) However, my Dinah has very long legs & is very 'flexible' so she can get at things on her legs & feet with just a donut. (or even just a cone - when I'm protecting her legs I have to double up & she wears her donut PLUS a cone!!)
@BKaymuttleycrew, that's what my research turned up, too, i.e. the donut's effectiveness depends on the location of the wound and on how flexible/bendy the dog is. My pup's not interested in licking today (she's still pretty zonked out), but I have a DIY noodle collar on her, just in case.

Currently not a certified vet, so I'd need to do a little more research to confirm which contraption works better. But if i had to make a choice based solely on aesthetics, it'd be a no brainer...
@stbob, laughing... I'm not sure which of those examples looks worse! The cone looks pretty awful (and is the leash attached to it?) and looks only about half as deep as it needs to be (and that poor dog looks like he's been in the wars, too), and the noodle looks a bit dubious (and what's all that other stuff on the dog? Life jacket? Harness? Saddle?) but would probably be as effective as a storebought donut collar.

Thanks for your thoughts, folks.

·
Banned
166 Posts
My pup came home from the vet this afternoon, and I had her a segmented noodle collar all ready, made from an extra-thick noodle and an adjustable snap-strap from Amazon. I have enough material on hand to double or triple the donut, but hoping I won't have to.

I did a bit of research before deciding on that direction and as @BKaymuttleycrew says, the effectiveness of a donut collar really depends on the location of the wound and the flexibility of the dog. My vet apparently used a dissolving surgical glue to close the incision which, they say, tends to significantly reduce itching (as opposed to sutures or staples).

@stbob, you may have a point about the comedic value of cones, but I personally don't like them, so I was looking for an alternative. The donut/noodle collars attempt to restrict the dog's head movements and can keep some dogs from reaching some wounds.There are also recovery suits and wraps designed to cover the wound so even if the dog can reach it, he really can't damage it because it's covered up.
View attachment 265128 View attachment 265129

@BKaymuttleycrew, that's what my research turned up, too, i.e. the donut's effectiveness depends on the location of the wound and on how flexible/bendy the dog is. My pup's not interested in licking today (she's still pretty zonked out), but I have a DIY noodle collar on her, just in case.

@stbob, laughing... I'm not sure which of those examples looks worse! The cone looks pretty awful (and is the leash attached to it?) and looks only about half as deep as it needs to be (and that poor dog looks like he's been in the wars, too), and the noodle looks a bit dubious (and what's all that other stuff on the dog? Life jacket? Harness? Saddle?) but would probably be as effective as a storebought donut collar.

Thanks for your thoughts, folks.
Thanks for the replys, regardless what contraption you use, god speed for your dogs recovery....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts