Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'd like some opinions on the different puzzle toys.

I have two different shaped stuffable kong toys. One bone shaped and very open and the other ball shaped with two openings (one very narrow crumb-sized and the other dollar coin (loonie) sized.
The ball is useful, the bone is only good for smearing stuff in like peanut butter and then squishing cheese bits.
I was thinking about purchasing this, and rolling kibble in some material and shoving it in the ball, like I saw some other picture of, so the dog has to unstuff the ball. I think she'd like to do that.
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0002DJX44/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

Is there any other toys that you all use?
Give a quick review, and what kind of dog uses them.
(Unless obviously in your signature)

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I have a soft rubber kong shaped feeder toy, and I'm buying a ball with an adjustable opening. Kabota wrecked the opening on the other ball he had. He likes the feeder toys. He rolls them all over, picks them up and bounces them, throws them against the wall and, if all else fails, brings them to me for help. ETA: "Throws them against the wall" is why I had to get rid of the nice, wooden puzzle toy he had. I had buy a wall patch kit once he figured out that flinging it against the wall as hard as he could released all the kibble at once.

I also have a stuffed tree with three stuffed squirrels which interests Kabota not at all. Does not care.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I like my kong bones. I put in some peanut butter and then shove in kibble as tightly as possible, then freeze. That takes my dog 10-15min I think, which is enough to keep him calm while we're leaving. I only use the regular kong if we're going to be gone in the evening, when he is more active.

I have a holee roller ball thing and I don't see it as being useful for stuffing food. I've seen some people use strips of fleece with food wrapped in them, by Watson would just pull out the fleece and shred/eat it. It's much better as a fetch/tug toy for me. I currently have it tied to the end of a flirt pole with an unstuffed stuffed animal dangling from it.

I like the IQ Ball and Magic Mushroom best. They are both pretty difficult with kibble only and I have a hard time finding toys that don't let the kibble fall right out. They are really loud though. I've heard good things about the Squirrel Buddy, but when I looked at them the openings seemed too large for kibble and not adjustable.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
We use regular Kongs the most, and the Kong Wobblers, Squirrel Dudes and Tug-a-Jugs often.

I think that's it but I have so many dog things that there may be more. Those are the regulars though.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I think the Kong Wobbler has been thr most successful here for keeping Gally entertained for long periods.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, most of my toys the openings are far too large unless I pack it completely full and then block the opening off with peanut butter and freeze it. It takes about 5 minutes for her to lick through the thick frozen peanut butter, but then it's a matter of like 5 minutes outside of the cage and 10-15 inside of the cage (because she loses it under her bed a lot) for her to knock all of the kibble out of it. I wish the holes on the majority of these food dispensing toys were smaller. Even the large pedigree kibbles (those are the biggest ones I've seen) aren't much for that gaping hole. Like if my kong ball had a tiny baby sized opening just big enough for one piece of large kibble, that'd be perfect.

I see what you mean about the IQ ball and Magic Mushroom toys being loud. Googling the second one was interesting when I forgot to add "dog toy" ;)
I considered the IQ ball but my entire house is hardwood. So... that would probably get super annoying.

Sansa has a circle rope toy that she shakes so hard that she often loses grip and chucks it somewhere. I have multiple bruises on my legs and arm from her throwing it at me, so I feel your pain, Amaryllis!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We use regular Kongs the most, and the Kong Wobblers, Squirrel Dudes and Tug-a-Jugs often.

I think that's it but I have so many dog things that there may be more. Those are the regulars though.
http://www.amazon.ca/Busy-Buddy-BB-...UTF8&qid=1398973169&sr=8-1&keywords=tug+a+jug

Do you think this size would be a good size or how big should I go? I haven't heard of the Tug-a-Jugs before and our petstores don't sell them, but she does like to play tug, and she does like food so maybe I'll give that a try!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
We have this

http://www.amazon.ca/Starmark-TCEFB...TF8&qid=1398972632&sr=1-8&keywords=treat+ball
Which Freyja loves but Remus thought was stupid. I bought it for Remus and stuffed it with his dinner, he then looked at me like I had grown a second head and walked away. He still refuses to use it. Freyja thinks it is the best invention ever. She carries it around, rolls it for food, shakes it, just generally has a blast with it. It is just the right size for Kibble to not fall out too easily. Dove loves it too but Freyja doesn't share well (she paws at it until she knocks it out of Dove's paws and then carries it away).

http://www.amazon.ca/Kong-Genius-Mi...&ie=UTF8&qid=1398972864&sr=1-15&keywords=kong
then we have this. Both Remus and Freyja love it. I put a giant dog biscuit inside and they just go crazy trying to figure out how to get it out. Freyja also enjoys taking out her chewy aggression on it. It has been a good investment.

http://www.petsmart.com/dog/toys/to...-catid-100118?var_id=36-10071&_t=pfm=category
we bought one sort of like this (it is a ball but I can't find it on the sight) for Dove to keep her amused and because Freyja won't share but I'm not as happy with it as the starmark version. The one end is more open and the food sort of just falls out so it isn't as difficult. I want one of the actual puzzles and maybe some of the other starmark toys.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I just ordered the KONG Genius Mike Dog Toy because our neighbor has one that has held up amazingly well. They use it as a fetch toy and keep it outside so quality wise it has held up well. I'm planning to use it for treat dispensing so we'll see how that goes. The order hasn't arrived yet so I can't vouch for it yet. Regarding the Hol-ee Roller, my mom has a similar toy for Charlie and stuffs it when he visits. It seems to make a much larger mess than any of the other treat dispensing toys we've used.

I'm glad you started this thread because I've often wondered about a lot of the puzzle toys mentioned :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
http://www.amazon.ca/Kong-Genius-Mi...&ie=UTF8&qid=1398972864&sr=1-15&keywords=kong
then we have this. Both Remus and Freyja love it. I put a giant dog biscuit inside and they just go crazy trying to figure out how to get it out. Freyja also enjoys taking out her chewy aggression on it. It has been a good investment.
I'm so glad to hear a positive review! I can't wait for my order to ship :) Chewy.com has lots of Kong stuff on sale right now so I went a bit crazy!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I have the kong stuff a ball. Put regular kibble in and it is pretty easy or put in long treats and it is harder. I like it a lot. http://www.kongcompany.com/products/for-dogs/rubber-toys/dental-rubber-toys/stuff-a-ball/

Have a thin rubber ball with a small hole and dividers inside that the dogs like a lot but it gets really filthy and is hard to clean. The rubber is thin and seems like some dogs would just rip it up. http://www.amazon.com/JW-Pet-Company-Puzzler-Colors/dp/B00106WXSA

Have the original puzzle toy, Buster Cube and hate it with a passion. It is difficult to load, difficult to clean, extremely loud when slammed around and to top it off goes under furniture and the dog annoys you no end trying to get it out. It is medium hard to very hard and the last few kibbles never come out.

Mostly I just put a couple dry treats into a dry water/milk bottle or wrap the treats in paper and stuff a cardboard roll with them and clean up the mess after or smear a little peanut butter on the inside of a kong. Ginger does well with a big hard to eat raw thing but they are mostly for outside or in a pen in the house. Sassy was a hoot with a water bottle. She chewed the opening flat and of course couldn't get anything out after that happened. Max is very methodical with them and loves it if I put the cap on as he can take it off so carefully you can screw it back on. I don't think it is still water tight though!

I would love an excuse to buy the Kong wobbler, it looks easy to load and clean and holds a lot. http://www.kongcompany.com/products/for-dogs/interactive/wobbler-2/wobbler/

What treats fit in a holey roller? Cannot imagine using it for a treat dispenser. Mine has a squeaky disc inside that is impossible to kill which drives my dogs nuts.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Another vote for the Kong Genius line. We have two of the Leos and one of the Mikes. I like making different puzzles by connecting them and keeping Gally guessing. They are very durable and have different sized holes depending on the size you buy.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
http://www.amazon.ca/Busy-Buddy-BB-...UTF8&qid=1398973169&sr=8-1&keywords=tug+a+jug

Do you think this size would be a good size or how big should I go? I haven't heard of the Tug-a-Jugs before and our petstores don't sell them, but she does like to play tug, and she does like food so maybe I'll give that a try!
I don't think mine sell them either, I ordered them online from chewy.com. Moose is a 75lb Weimaraner and he uses a the Medium/Large size. It's a good size, a bit larger than I was expecting but I have big boys so bigger works. Not sure how big your pups are but that's what works for us. :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Besides stuffed Kong-like toys and tube type beef bones re-stuffed, and nylabones doctored up with stuff, a couple handfuls of kibble in an empty milk jug. I squeeze the opening partway shut with a pair of plyers. A milk jug or bigger (kitty litter) jug partially filled with water; once some holes are chewed in them and the water starts leaking out it's a lot of fun! Sometimes a small squeaky toy wrapped up and tied in an old towel. Gave the big dog a peanut butter jar to finish cleaning out one time. But a small foster dog got her entire head stuck in it. After I unstuck her she went right back for it to do it again, the little so-and-so! The bigger dog is a collie/retriever mix, my little dog is part rat terrier and who knows what else. Neither one are strong chewers. I look for oven mitts at the dollar store and stuff a cookie down the thumb hole. Human baby toys that have a removable noise maker I remove the speaker thingy and stuff that opening with dry treats, They seem sturdier than dog toys and I find them at Goodwill for $1.29 each. Also, now the weather is getting warmer the collie loves an old water trough, puts her toys in, takes them out, puts her whole head under water to get the "sinkers," very cute!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts