Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was heading to the Pet Memorial forum, but I guess it isn't quite time for that.

I'm going today at 5pm to have Clifford put to sleep. His physical condition has been getting progressively worse and worse, especially over the past couple of weeks. He frequently eliminates when attempting to stand because of the pressure being put on his muscles. He wakes up most every night, breathing heavily and crying out. And this is on four Tramadol and a Previcox every day, plus his joint supplements. I can't just let him go on and on in pain.

I've never planned to put a dog down. I've always had to do it because of some trauma. This is much harder. I guess this is trauma, though, in a way. I mean, he's in a terribly painful condition that he's never going to recover from, just like my last dog's cancer of the spleen or my cat's brain tumor.

Clifford still has so much dog love left in him. His eyes are so beautiful and he is truly the most gentle and loving dog I have ever encountered. This is a very hard day.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I am sorry that you have to go through this Fillebelle (hugs).

You and Clifford will be in my thoughts today. You know in your heart that this is what is best for him. You did everything you could to make his "retirement days" happy and comfortable for him. Thank you for giving him that chance. (hugs)

·
Registered
926 Posts
I am so sorry to read this about Clifford. You are doing the right thing - I know it doesn't make it any easier. Hugs!

Maureen

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I'm so sorry. ((Hugs))

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh bless your heart....Im so sorry. You and Clifford are in my prayers.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Oh no! I'm so sorry it's reached this point. You're doing the right thing, but that doesn't make it any easier. My thoughts are with you and your family.

·
Registered
945 Posts
(((hugs)))) I'm very sorry you have to go through this. Clifford was a lucky dog to be with such a caring owner. You'll be in my thoughts.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I'm so sorry. This is such a difficult decision always--to put the needs and welfare and comfort of your dog over your own needs. Hold Clifford tight, and whisper in his ears about what a great friend he has been, and how much he is loved. He will leave for the bridge knowing the familiar comfort of your love--the greatest final gift we can give our companions.

I'm so sorry.

·
Registered
861 Posts
i am so sorry you are faced with such a tough desicion. just know that you are doing the right thing for your boy. He had a good life with you and he was lucky to have someone love him enough to know the right time to let go.

(hugs)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I'm so sorry you're having to do this. It's never an easy decision. Keeping you and Clifford in my thoughts. :(

·
Registered
630 Posts
Im so sorry for what your going through. Anything I would want to say has already been said in that Clifford is so lucky to have you as an owner who loves him enough to let him go even though it hurts you. Try to take comfort in the fact that you are doing whats best for him and you will always have people to talk you through this difficult time on here.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
(((HUGS)))
Hun... I'm so so sorry to hear this.
Clifford is extremely lucky to have been blessed with such a loving momma and such a great home... and such a great friend (Alvin).
You gave him life once again... and now all you can do is give him peace.

You all will be in my thoughts and prayers...
Nessa

·
Registered
185 Posts
I wish there were words I could say that would magically make you feel better... all I have is "I'm so sorry". Things are so not fair sometimes.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you this afternoon.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I'm so, so sorry that you've had to make this tough decision. You'll be in my thoughts.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts