Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Monday I had to put down my Border Collie. He had cancer and I kept him alive 6 months with chemo, but the cost was getting too high and I had to stop. He had a good last weekend, took him to the lake walked 3 miles, then Sunday he got to play in the water with the water hose, and the kids next door were kicking the ball and he ran along the fence barking and chasing the ball. But Sunday night he was not breathing well, the cancer was strangling him and Monday morning I took him to be put down. I decided to have him creamated and I plan to make a pillow with his picture on it and put his remains in there. I also got a thing that will hold some remains in a tube that you can add to your key chain. I plan to pick it all up tomorrow.
I did not like the way the vet put him down. I have seen a vet use a two shot method and I like it best. This vet used a one shot method and it seemed to shock my dog, he turned to look at the vet and then me like as to say " what did you just do".
It does hurt. I do have two other dogs and it is sad to see them look for him. We all seem lost without him, it will take time to develop a new normal.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Awww Melody:(

I am so sorry about your lil guy. It is sad when it is out pets time to go..Your gallant effort to do everything possible for him proves your love for him. Cherish the memories, they will never ever fade.

I hear stories about dogs that are being put down look to the ones they love best at the end. I have a suspicion that they know when it is time and they have to get in thier final goodbye.

Give your others a scritch from me..

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm so sorry Melody. It's never an easy decision and we are usually left wondering if our dear friend was ok with the end. It takes a strong person and a lot of love to take care of our sweet babies in their last days. (((((hugs)))) for you.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Just letting you know I am sorry. Never easy to lose a friend.

Dogs sink their teeth into your heart and it never hurts until they have to let go.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That you all for the kind thoughts, yes it is hard, harder than I thought. I did pick up his ashes today. The look on his face when he was put down looked more like " what did you just do to me"?. That hurts. Ihave to hope that he will be there waiting for me to give him a big hug..God I hope htere really is a heaven!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Melody- I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I pray that you little dog didn't feel anything. Don't dwell on that-I am sure that if there was any discomfort it was only for a moment. Take comfort in knowing that your precious one is now out of pain and try to remember only the great times you had with him.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Oh Melody, I am so so sorry ((HUGS)) I know how you are feeling, I have gone through it as well. You got some great advice here, take comfort knowing that he is out of pain and lived a happy life knowing he was loved!

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Melody, i'm w/ you all the way on this...it's been 3 wks tomorrow that i had my beautiful Lacey PTS....she, too, was cremated, and, for now, her ashes are on my mantle.....she was also given the shot in only one but it was a very peaceful thing....she was ready (i wasn't) and was calm....

know that your boy is now at rest, he doesn't hurt, and he's up there doing all the things he loved, just waiting to be w/ you again....

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Melody,
I'm so VERY sorry Hon! I think most here have had to make the same decision as you, to end a loyal pets suffering. It's painful and the house feels SOOO empty after. Please make a memorial post in the rainbow bridge section with pics, it truly will help the healing process for you. Remember that he's out of pain and waiting for you at the Bridge.

(((HUGS)))

1 - 13 of 13 Posts