Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been anti Purina for quite a while now, mostly because I live nearby to a Purina pet food factory, and it's absolutely horrendous.... It's like something that belongs in a horror movie! I feel all creeped out just by driving past it. I simply don't trust anything coming from such a disgusting factory... Why would I feed it to my beloved pet? Also, the first ingredient is Corn in Dog Chow, and I've read that the first four or five ingredients need to be named meats, not just anonymous by-products and grains like the first five in Dog Chow.

But am I being a little on the paranoid side? I haven't exactly inspected the facilities of any other brands of dog food. I dunno if Orijin or Blue Buffalo comes from a nice clean factory. Does it even really matter what the factory looks like? At least it's not coming from China...

The ingredients still irritate me, though.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
the looks of the factory can't always tell you what you're getting...have you ever been inside a slaughterhouse where your meat comes from?...it's pretty horrendous, too...sanitary? better be...but it looks like something out of a horror movie.....

as for Purina foods?...i've been feeding my dogs Purina One for quite a few yrs and have had absolutely no issues w/ it...when i have tried the "better" brands i have problems....if it works for your dog/s (meaning, they have good coat, bright eyes, eat/eliminate well, have lots of energy, etc) use it...if not, find the food that does....

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree that each dog is different and some foods work better then others. I guess I'll just make it a personal deal of mine with Purina, since I get grossed out just thinking about it =P

Also, I've never seen the inside of a slaughter house (though there's actually one near the Purina factory) and I don't really want to either XD Meat is just too tasty to start boycotting! Lol

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I don't feed Purina but I guess you have to consider that the company is huge and has the money to maintain a good working factory. I mean, it could be disgusting in there but the smaller companies don't have the capacity that Purina does. So it could go either way, is what I'm saying.

Purina has some decent foods but they do make really crappy ones too, like Kibbles & Bits and Beneful. PUrina also has the advantage of being the sponsor of many things and also it is a household name so more people trust it.

Personally, I like to go with the smaller companies because that's just my thing but with Purina, it's six of one thing and half a dozen of the other.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've fed Purina for years, ProPlan and wouldn't go any less quality through their company. Dog Chow is disgusting in my mind.

On the urging of some breeders who thought they were doing better, I fed Orijen for some time. My dogs did horribly on it. Ear infections, bacterial infections, their teeth became yellow, stools loose.

I bought several bags and a few had molds in them. While the company returned them, it still left me feeling I was doing a disservice to my dogs

Here's my recommendation. Feed what works for you and your dogs. If you are grossed out by Purina, don't feed it. If your dog has good coat and energy level on what you are feeding, even if you think they can do better, don't rock the boat.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I feed my dogs Purina Dog Chow. They love it, their coats are thick and shiney, they have lots of energy and they never have diareah. On the premium foods they were on they had diareah and just didnt have good energy. It was worth the switch for us.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I feed Purina One, my dogs do great on it (my cats eat cat chow, always have, and when I tried to switch them my senior had some serious health issues)...I've said before that I don't love the ingredients, but we had alot of problems on different premium foods and turned to this out of desperation. I have emailed the company a few times and received prompt responses and coupons, and they haven't been involved in any recalls, so...I feel ok about my choice. I try a different food every now and then, but I think Purina is fine, especially if you're on a budget.

Personally the only two I would feed is One or Chow, but just for informations sake, they don't make kibbles n bits...they make an equally questionable product called kibbles n chunks though.

·
Registered
999 Posts
At the suggestion of folks on this board I started Tiberius on Purina One. He was on a much higher end kibble (I don't know the name). Since I put him on the Purina though his coat is better, his energy has improved and he seems to be an all around happier dog. I'm happy with it and so is he (even if he turns up his nose at the chicken and rice).

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Do you live near me? We have a Purina factory in town too. I've never been there, but is smells pretty bad when you drive past it.

/side note/

·
Registered
12 Posts
I really don't know if I could feed my dogs Purina. In Purina's defense, it is the worst of the best. I'd much rather see a dog eating that before I see them eating crap like Beneful or Kibbles N Bits. And don't let Science Diets 'Vet Recommended' tagline fool you: vet's don't know jack about nutrition. Science Diet just gives the hospitals breaks and free food. Trust me, I work at one.

Sadie is on Taste of the Wild High Prairie and she gobbles it up. Mr. Darcy loves his Evenger's Pheasant and Brown Rice, and Rusty loves his Pet Promise Healthy Weight and Aging. All three are costly, but very worth it.

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/
http://www.evangersdogfood.com/dog/dry.html
http://www.petpromiseinc.com/dogdryfood.htm

I guess judging a book by it's cover is a bit wrong, but if the factory is as dirty and gross as you say maybe you should ask for a tour? Remember that dog food goes through a different process to make then people food, and it may look ugly to you when in fact it's perfectly healthy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was told Purina One and Pro Plan are nearly the same. Ours prefer Purina One taste and always finish. We use the chicken natural blend.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
but just for informations sake, they don't make kibbles n bits...they make an equally questionable product called kibbles n chunks though.
Yeah, Kibbles 'n' Bits is made by Del Monte......but I can't find any Kibbles 'n' Chunks made by Purina :confused: . Ol' Roy makes a Kibbles 'n' Chunks, though. But Purina does make Alpo and Moist 'n' Meaty----UGH. Kibbles 'n' Bits (and similar knock-offs) is about the worst you can buy, for sure.

Beneful isn't any worse than regular Dog Chow, except for the extra coloring (which is pretty bad, IMO). The ingredient lists are nearly identical (top 5 for Beneful: Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat---Top 5 for Dog Chow: Whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal, animal fat, corn gluten meal, meat and bone meal). Of course, they charge twice as much for Beneful.....it's so much better because of the pretty colors :rolleyes: .

All in all I think Purina is OK. You can do a whole lot worse. They have done a lot of research and they know how to make a decent vitamin pre-mix, plus they've never been recalled. And all the dogs I know who eat Dog Chow or Purina ONE are reasonably healthy.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Yeah, Kibbles 'n' Bits is made by Del Monte......but I can't find any Kibbles 'n' Chunks made by Purina :confused: . Ol' Roy makes a Kibbles 'n' Chunks, though. But Purina does make Alpo and Moist 'n' Meaty----UGH. Kibbles 'n' Bits (and similar knock-offs) is about the worst you can buy, for sure.
Dang, I think you're right...I knew they didn't make k n b, I don't know where I got kibbles n chunks from though...maybe I was thinking of beneful...

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you live near me? We have a Purina factory in town too. I've never been there, but is smells pretty bad when you drive past it.

/side note/
Well, if you live in Oklahoma, then no, because I live in Fort Worth, TX =D

·
Registered
73 Posts
I fed proplan when I first got into dogs(when I knew nothing about dog foods).
I would not feed it now.4 rottweilers would = lots of poop.
I feed raw with some innova.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I too used to feed Purina products, when I was 'younger' and didn't have as much access to valuable information on pet nutrition, or access to higher end foods. When you're a kid, too, you kind of have to feed what the parents will buy...

Now, though, I could never feed Purina, or any other food that contains by-products, coloring, or is heavily composed of mostly 'grainy-starchy' ingredients.

I feed a diet composed of (rotating) foods like TOTW, Solid Gold, and Chicken Soup; I also feed RAW 3 times a week.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Pro Plan is my favorite of theirs. All of mine liked it, and every dog I know that eats it is doing fantastic on it.

You feed what you can afford, and what the dog does well on, and what the dog likes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven't had a bad experience with Purina dog food yet and my dog loves it. I think that most animal food factories are going to look like something from a horror movie.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts