Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I have a question.
Has had any experience with the website purebredbreeders.com? I am interested getting a Havanese and came across one on their site that I'm pretty interested in. I think it's crazy to be considering buying a dog online. I always thought I'd contact a breeder and go that route and I will most likely still go that route. Still, I'm interested in hearing about any experiences anyone here may have had. Everything I've read has been pretty negative.

Thanks.

Q

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yeah no. No good breeder advertises that way. I looked up my breed.. All I see are 'rare' colours.. inflated prices.. Seemingly lacking health testing and the best I see are champion bloodlines!!!!!!!

Go to the breed club and research a breeder... There may be an okay one from that site, but the odd are against it.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
That looks like a puppy mill broker site. Those sites are meant to make things too good to be true, when in reality your money is going to keep those hell holes open.

Your best bet is to go through the havanese club of america. Shows two in NY, but I am sure if you contact them they can point you in the direction of others. http://www.havanese.org/breeder-ref/69

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks MafiaPrincess. That's what I thought.
Pardon my inexperience. What is the "breed club"? Do you mean the American Kennel Club?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very helpful @Chaos.. That's what I thought. I'm going to take your advice. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Definitely does not look good. Looks like an online pet/puppy shop aka: puppymillers.
I just looked at the Pembroke Welsh Corgis and they are selling their Pembrokes for nearly $2,000.00 ??? Even the mismarked ones.
No way. You can get a good quality corgi from a reputable breeder for around $300.00 - $500.00. I would definitely give this place a wide berth and stay away.

I would definitely get in contact with someone here:
http://www.havanese.org/

You can definitely find a good list of reputable breeders there. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
You can also go to an upcoming dog show, but there is no guarantee that havanese will be there. When looking on this site, look for ones with AB next to it, as those will be all breed shows. Next one seems to be in Syracuse.

http://infodog.com/panels/ny.htm

·
Registered
631 Posts
The breed club would be listed already by other members :) www.havanese.org

I'm glad you are willing to look further.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
This is a great idea. I never considered going to a show..
Since there are some breeders in NY, i would think havanese would be at that show, but you never know till the show is closed.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Oh, gah. Went and looked at my breed. A "rare blue" Australian Shepherd (not to mention there is no such thing as a "standard" Australian shepherd) is offered for $1250. Slate blue is not an acceptable color. Neither is the mismark who's offered for $1550. Another mismark (no color around one eye) is offered for a smashing $2650. Aussies are an inexpensive breed. I could get a pup from a top show breeder for less (if that were the direction I wanted to go) I can get a good working bred pup for under $1000 from a breeder who is well known.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I went and looked too out of curiosity. Of course I had to look at the Schnauzer/Poodles. They are listed at $1775.00 for the highest priced one. What a crock! The "designer" breeds didn't look very healthy IMO. I was surprised they were even listed. I thought it was a site for purebred breeders.........................I originally was looking at the Poodles for fun.
Long before I knew better than to buy a pup from a BYB the two Schnauzer/Poodles my Dad purchased that I have now...... were only $100 each. Wow.......I guess that was a steal!.........NOT!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I just looked at their danes, and I got to say YUCK. $2095 for a merle (which really looks like a washed out harlequin) that also looks like it's blind or deaf and some seriously bone growth issues, seriously.

There is a merle listed as a harlequin for $2195. And structurally they look awful for the most part.

And don't get me started on the bulldogs.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
lol everyone already covered it, but I had to look up the BCs and laugh...the ones that have listed do appear to be health tested etc.. but they are charging over $1500 for PUPPIES! in the working BC(which is what these breeders claim they are) a puppy is a crapshoot, that means puppies are CHEAP, if you need a working dog, NOBODY in their right mind would pay that much for a total shot in the dark, a thousand dollar gamble is pretty stupid! otherwise get a fully trained and proven dog for about the price they are selling those pups lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A split off club of the Havanese is the Havana Silk Dog Association. They have some special health requirements for membership and a different standard, but the dogs are the 'old style' Havanese.

This is great! I'm definitely going to take a look at the breeders they offer. Though I havent seen much it already seems as if the health testing/standards are up to par. Pretty awesome!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Queryne- The Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show is coming up in a few months at Madison Square Garden- just a subway ride away. :) It's a bench show, so the dogs stay all day and handlers are around to speak to the public about their dogs. I used to live in Marine Park (near Midwood) and went one year--it was FUN!

If you have a chance, it would be a great opportunity to meet some responsible Havanese fanciers and maybe get a lead on pups.

Jen

1 - 20 of 30 Posts