Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw something on the news abiut a Shiba Inu puppy being stolen from a shelter. I’m not too familiar with this breed but I know they’re not that common. Are there puppy mill type breeders of these dogs, that wouldn’t take a puppy back, if necessary?
Now, the dog wil end up on Craigslist somewhere. It’s microchipped but who knows if anybody who hasn’t seem or heard about this, will bother to check.
Amazing but breeders don’t want to sell ME.a dog. I ess their paychic abilities aren’t as impressive as they think they are when they’re interviewing puppy buyers.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Sometimes purebreds end up in shelters. Occasionally even rare breeds. Occasionally even those bred by decent breeders. The good ones take t hem back if jerks don't go steal them from the shelter.

This, however, has jackall to do with breeders you complain about not wanting to have a 15 year long relationship with you,either because you fail to meet the standards, or act like you're entitled to one of their puppies and pitch public fits and tantrums when they tell you 'no'. Probably both,tbh. At this point I wouldn't give you ANY puppy because who would want an ongoing relationship with someone who tantrums when they don't get what they want?

Doesn't take psychic ability to know that, just a small community and the ability to lurk on a major, public, dog forum.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Shibas aren't especially a rare breed anymore. Thanks to internet memes and the like, they've joined the list of breeds people get because they're cute or popular, which means plenty of mills, pet stores, and unethical breeders see them as walking moneybags to churn out and sell at a premium. And we all know those places don't take puppies back, let alone educate potential owners on the sometimes very challenging quirks and temperaments of an independent spitz breed like the Shiba Inu. Not at all surprised they end up in shelters on occasion, though this situation is worse than most.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Purebred does not equal well bred.

Shibas are cute little dogs, and we all know what tends to happen to cute little dogs.... everybody and their uncle decides they just have to have one, and the backyard breeders and large volume commercial breeders (aka puppymills) go to town. Yes, they aren't the most common breed, but there are plenty of them out there. And if that puppy was from a good breeder, then as soon as they were notified (if they were notified) , they would have been moving heaven and earth to get that puppy back.

And as an FYI, the amount of money a person pays for a dog doesn't necessarily correlate to their commitment to that dog. People can pay thousands of dollars for a dog, and then dump it a few months later for a number of reasons (having a baby, no time, moving, acts like an untrained puppy, you name it....). Crappy breeders have been known to drop of entire litters when they either can't sell them or just don't want to deal with them. Heck, there was a classified ad here locally a while back, where someone was giving away their kids' birthday present that he's gotten not four months previously because she was now "too big" (although what part of Great Pyrenees they didn't understand is beyond me).

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I think a puppy mill MIGHT take a puppy back, but certainly would not buy the puppy back. They would just sell it again for double the profit. I can see a few scenarios here; the buyer of the puppy no longer wanted it and sold the puppy trying to make back some of their money, but didn't do their due diligence screening a home and it ended up at a shelter. The buyer of the puppy knew they were buying from poor conditions and didn't want to return the puppy to the mill and instead brought it to a shelter. I could go on. Who knows.

This situation shouldn't be applied as a blanket statement of resentment against breeders who are picky about where their dogs go. Ethical breeders screen potential owners heavily for just this reason. If anything, you should maybe read this and understand more why breeders are so picky where their dogs go. You feel slighted, but it's not their responsibility to make you feel good about yourself. It's their responsibility to protect their dogs and try to avoid these situations. You're not entitled to their dogs.

It's unlikely this puppy came from an ethical responsible breeder; but occasionally, one does slip through the cracks. But when you hear hoofbeats, don't think zebras. Here's the article, in case anyone is interested.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Any dog can end up in a shelter by accident or on purpose. Shibas are not super common.
Professional breeders put their blood, sweat and tears into raising their puppies. They have specific questions for a reason and if the answers aren’t satisfactory, they have every right to deny a sale.
You might be a great pet owner, but something was the wrong fit for you with that breeder. They do this, not to upset you, but to give their puppies their best possible life. These people don’t know you, so they have to rely on their instincts and your application answers.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm not sure if this is actually about the stolen pet from the shelter.

I think this is more of a veiled howl about a rejection from a breeder..........
Possibly a whine of the world's not fair to me.......
or a whimper of why not me......

Sorry.....had sum puns to unleash......
:ROFLMAO: :giggle:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts