Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to figure out if my Dachshund puppy is a purebred. I do NOT have papers for her although I was told she is purebred. My other Dachshund has AKC papers. I was told by a family member she doesn’t look purebred.. It really doesn’t matter to me as I’m keeping her regardless. Just curious if anyone can help! Thanks in advance ?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I've seen dogs with papers who barely resemble the breed they are registered as, they are so far from the breed standard. Can you post some pictures?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have seen that too. Ok here’s some pics of her. She is 9 weeks old. My long haired Doxie is 10 years old.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Not sure about in the U.S. but here in Canada a dog cannot be sold or referred to as "purebred" without the proper paperwork already in place. Registration papers must be provided within 6 months of the date of sale.

That said, she doesn't look like a mix to me. I can't see anything but sweet, cute, little dachshund puppy there.

·
Registered
549 Posts
They don't care in the US. Heck they sell mixes a 'breeds', so...

She looks pretty purebred to me... but who knows. If she's not registered, the parents are probably not very much up to standard anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies! Like I said before it’s not that important to me that she be purebred. I would however like to know if she is & I was just told there is some sort of DNA test you can do to check. I heard it’s not costly so I’m gonna look into it. Has anyone ever heard of it? As far as her parents, one had papers & the other didn’t but he looked purebred to me.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Not sure about in the U.S. but here in Canada a dog cannot be sold or referred to as "purebred" without the proper paperwork already in place. Registration papers must be provided within 6 months of the date of sale.
This might be true of professional breeders, but unfortunately anyone else can sell puppies and label them however they want.

He does look purebred though and is super cute :)

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Looks all Dachshund to me but of course you can't be 100% sure.

Not sure whether you got this puppy from a breeder or not.. and this isn't meant in a mean way at all..

I know most people who just want a pet don't really care about "papers" or "being a purebred" but in reality you guys are the ones creating the standards for pet breeders. If you pay for it, they are going to keep producing it for a higher and higher price. If you are paying the price of a purebred you should be able to know that it is a purebred. Papers are a very useful tool for tracking lineage in dogs. How do you know how closely you are breeding if you don't have any clue about their background? It might not be important to the dog owners themselves but it should be a red flag if the the breeder doesn't have papers.. and I mean AKC, UKC or Canadian KC papers, not those other fake registries. Papers don't mean "well bred" by any means but I can't believe how much people are charging for non papered dogs passing them as pure with no proof. Demand (nicely) those papers! Demand health testing, meeting the parents and proper socializing! Or walk away. :)

Very cute puppy. Definitely enjoy her, no matter what she is. :)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
This might be true of professional breeders, but unfortunately anyone else can sell puppies and label them however they want.

It's the law in Canada. Doesn't mean everyone follows it. Puppies are also supposed to be tattooed or microchipped before being sold, as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! She was purchased after my son fell in love with her & I wanted a companion for my older Doxie. The owners made it very clear she didn’t have papers but that changed NOTHING. I never asked them if they were breeders. I saw the parents & they appeared to be purebred. Like I said before I don’t really care if she is 100% Dachshund or 5%, it was more so curiousity because someone said she should have way longer ears & be thinner. Anyways thanks for your reply! ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what I have seen people charge 1k+ for purebred Dachshunds. I paid $350 for both of mine! One with papers & one without ?

·
Registered
549 Posts
From what I have seen people charge 1k+ for purebred Dachshunds. I paid $350 for both of mine! One with papers & one without ?
There's so much more to 'purebred' than just papers though...

Breeding puppies responsibly is expensive. First, it implies making sure that the parents have the temperament and look of the standard. Honestly... a lot of breeders don't even do that. They just takes a male and a female of the breed and breed them, while a good breeder will always try to improve the breed, or at least breed two good specimens of the breed (that's why breeders show their dogs). Mostly though, a good breeder will ensure that the dogs bred are healthy and don't carry genetics issues common in the breed as well - that's done with testing, and that's not cheap. There's a pretty good chance that a breeder selling you a $350 puppy did not do that (to be fair, I'm not sure how much health testing you have to do with doxies). Plus there's vet checks (should be two, one at 6 weeks for first shots, once at 8 weeks to make sure that the puppies are healthy enough to go to their new homes). And yeah, papers cost money so a lot of breeders won't bother with those.

Bottom line is that it's often worth it to pay a bit more and buy from a good breeder to limit the chance that your dog won't end up with hip issues at 4yo or something, and obviously that they are healthy and vaccinated.

I have friends who got a cavalier king charles from breeders, and he really doesn't have the body of cavaliers at all, for example. I'm sure he still has cavalier king charles DNA, he's just really not a good example of the breed (he's a real doll with people though but doesn't care for other dogs much).

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts

No professional breeder or not, you may not sell puppies as purebred without papers, it is illegal in Canada, it's just not enforced generally unless someone makes an issue of it.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Embark and Wisdom Panel are pretty accurate these days, though of course they're among the priciest. Embark has the added bonus of checking for a laundry list of genetic disorders as well, so if anything is lurking in a dog's DNA that might show up when they're older, you're at least prepared. Or, if you're a nerd like me, it's just cool to learn about their genetic profile, haha.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts