Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am considering enrolling both my dogs in the AKC PAL program so both can compete in the AKC events. I believe both to be within the breed standard (markings, height, weight, temperament, etc). They both meet the criteria for the program and I was wondering if anyone else has enrolled their dogs and if the program is "worth" it so to speak. I have moved to a large metroplex (and will probably keep living in one for the next several years) and so I would be near events I could compete in. Any experiences or opinions to share?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Kechara is ILP'ed with the AKC (Thats what PAL was called many years ago), since she only came with ASCA and NSDR papers, Jack was also ILP'ed since he came to us with no registration. So I can be of some help.

Is Sierra registered with MASCUSA at all? You might want to look into getting her registered if she's elligable because if you can then you will be able to register her in full with the AKC once the MAS registrations open.
Try and get pics of Misty with her tail down instead of curled over her back lik in your sig, Huskies aren't suppoed to have curly tails.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neither has any papers or registered with any entity. They may have in the past but both were abandoned by their owners (the pound found their owners and neither would come claim their dog) so whatever papers they had are with those people - where ever they are.
With Misty's tail - I thought they were supposed to have a sickle curve? How much less of a curve is that?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
sickle tails are fine but they shouldn't touch the back with the tip like a malamute.

This is WAY too much curl

This is not as bad but still too much

This is ideal

Will a more curly tail flunk him out of PAL? I don't think so I think it is a common fault in the breed but if you can get it to unroll or stay down that's best to hieghten your chances of acceptance.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point. It doesn't say the dog has to be in any particular pose. She does have a curly very similar to the first dog which is way to much. I think getting a pic with her tail down is a good idea (as you suggested). Any pointers on getting Sierra in?

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've done it with Shasta. I like it because I can compete in AKC events now. Just easier imo.

I don't mean to be rude, but I was told that as long as they can look at the dog and think of a certain breed, you're in. It's more of a way to get more money from those who do not have purebred dogs even though that is what you are trying to prove. My tips are to just take good pictures. I don't think Misty or Sierra will have a problem so long as they are within the standard. My dog got in with one floppy ear too.

This is my dog who got her PAL and she is by no means a good example of a Siberian Husky in my opinion:

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
and it's actually representatives from the breed club that take a look at your photos not the AKC. I don't think you'll have any issue with Sierra from what I've seen of her just make sure her ears are down, I'm sure they are going to have a lot of people with Papillon Aussie mixes trying to PAL as MAS and they are going to look for Papillon and Pomeranian type traits to disqualify the dog, and having prick ears in a photo would hurt your chances. Tho in your sig she seems to have correct ears. Could you post some more shots of her standing I haven't seen very many besides her under the table in the size thread.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
In theory they are a bit more strict now since the "not purebred" dogs can be registered as mix breeds under the Canine Partner program instead. Difference is that Canine Partners can only compete in Rally, Obedience, and Agility whereas PALs can compete in anything the breed can, except for conformation (so all purebreds/PALs can be in tracking, plus breed-specific sports like field, herding, lure coursing, etc.).

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I PAL'd my Rottweiler. Sent in the paperwork and had Clyde's "papers" in about 2 weeks.

Other than being on the top of the standard for height, he's a pretty good representation of the breed (lol).

These are the pictures I used for Clyde's PAL:

·
Registered
683 Posts
I registered Russia through the PAL, and I registered Prophet through the Canine Partners program. Good experience thus far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts