Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found some breeders that tick all of the boxes. Unfortunately one of them only has 2 pups confired in the pregnant dog and the other litter is 3 pups. I know the pups in the litter of 3 are bred from frozen semen of a very good dog. So I have some questions.

Is there anything to consider when it comes to insemination this way, any less quality or any defects? I dont think so but im just asking. Like would frozen semen some how lose its quality by being frozen? May be a stupid question.

Apparently other dogs from same previous frozen semen are quality dogs.

My other question is are pups from small litters going to have a different temperament ? Like there wont be as many pups to choose from and the PAP test on, what is to be expected from a small litter pup over a large litter pup?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Successful breedings with frozen semen depend on several things, including (but not limited to) the quality of the semen at collection, how it was stored, timing of implantation, the skill of the vet doing the implantation, and how many eggs the bitch has released. I know of a Doberman breeder who had a litter of eight pupsicles from nearly 10 year old frozen semen. Other times you might get a much smaller litter. Same thing with a fresh chilled AI, side by side AI, or a live cover... you might get only one or two pups, or you could get a dozen.

The puppies temperaments will be what they will be. The only thing I might be concerned about is exposure to other dogs, but a lot of times a breeder with a small litter or singleton will reach out to other breeders to allow their pups to meet other puppies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Successful breedings with frozen semen depend on several things, including (but not limited to) the quality of the semen at collection, how it was stored, timing of implantation, the skill of the vet doing the implantation, and how many eggs the bitch has released. I know of a Doberman breeder who had a litter of eight pupsicles from nearly 10 year old frozen semen. Other times you might get a much smaller litter. Same thing with a fresh chilled AI, side by side AI, or a live cover... you might get only one or two pups, or you could get a dozen.

The puppies temperaments will be what they will be. The only thing I might be concerned about is exposure to other dogs, but a lot of times a breeder with a small litter or singleton will reach out to other breeders to allow their pups to meet other puppies.
Thank you. The semen is over 12 year old. My main concern is any quality loss in the DNA of the pups, minus the litter being smaller.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If it's been properly stored, it should be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts