Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all !

new to the forum and seeking some advise.

We currently own three dogs.

Ashley who is a Japanese akita

and two of her pups who are approx 9 months old that are crossed with Spanish mastiff.

Bruttey and Goliath.

recently about a month or so ago the two pups have not been getting along to well. It all started about one month back when the two got into a fight and Goliath got injured on one of his legs that required a visit to the vet.

We figured it was an isolated situation and just kept an eye on them. Then about 2 week ago they got into a fight because one was sitting beside my wife and the other got jealous and attacked the other. No one got badly hurt thank god ! Then the very next day they went at it over food, which resulted in me getting bit in the arm. It was not major and I was ok. lesson learned !

Both males are unneutered. We know Bruttey is the more dominate one.

We can't even have them both in the same room at this point, since Bruttey grawls at Goliath. We are trying to correct this, but it is proving difficult.

Bruttey will be going to the vet this week to get neutered.

Can anyone offer suggestions to nip this in the butt ?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Neutering will defiantly help I think. Their pups going through some stages of adolescence I'd think. Work them outside around each other once their both neutered and healed up enough. Start with attention on you, and when they can do things like sit and down just out of their reactive zone(twenty feet away, twenty five, however far they have to be apart to stop reacting) When they fight don't seperate them in different rooms. Say they go at it, you break them up then leash them and make them stay in the same room together until they calm down.
I'd feed them at seperate ends of the rooms on a tether so they can't attack each other along with some of the other stuff I said above. Be stricter with the rules of the house, maybe start NILIF, there's a sticky for it here on the training forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the responces.

We plan on getting one of them done this week and the other shortly after.

They are for the most part great pups, we just want them to get along. My wife still visits one of her freinds who has one of the other pups from the litter and they don't fight.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Please don't expect these dogs to get along just because you get them neutered. You have to work with them, you have to train, you have to be the boss and I'd suggest a behaviorist honestly. After their surgeries they will be just as likely to go at it. Sometimes separation and rotation like you are doing is done and works best but it should be a last resort after you've tried to work with them. I've had to deal with a couple of "jealous" dogs and it isn't easy, they can go after the other dog over your attention any time they see fit you have to step in a stop it before it starts. Not let the fight happen or the other dog get a reward for their behavior.

I do think neutering would be a good idea, would hate to see them get mom the Akita pregnant or something of that nature! However being intact doesn't mean they will actually never get along, not at all. More importantly though being neutered doesn't mean that they won't fight especially with the one who has the jealous tendencies. You need to make sure he understand you're the one in charge, you give out reward and attention, he needs to respect you. This type of behavior can lead to increasing fights/aggression in both intact/altered dogs.

Totally look up the NILIF that the other poster suggested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankz for the advice Spicy !

Not expecting neutering to fix the problem... just hoping it would help a bit to calm him down. Bruttey is a high energy dog and is always looking, moving acting. I've been providing him with some one on one training based on info from this site and others.

He is a challenge ! But seems to look to me for guidance, but at the same time likes to push the limits constantly.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Altering isn't likely to slow your dogs down, but I do think your boys should be altered. Just know that there are plenty of high energy, altered dogs out there. If you want to slow your dogs down, exercise them, physically AND mentally on a regular basis.

I'm curious how you are "correcting" your dog when he growls?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Growling is actually a good thing, you want them to growl so you know there is a problem, and not just suddenly bite.

I would do a lot of research on dog's communication, they are talking to each other through their body language and it will help you to understand what they are telling each other. Usually we just put the blame on the dog that bites, but often the other dog "started it" and we just didn't see the signs.

When it gets to the point that people or dogs are getting HURT, I think it's time to have a professional come in and help you learn the signs, learn how to handle the two dogs.

Correcting the dog for growling will only make things worse

1 - 9 of 9 Posts