Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, despite my advice, my uncle's wife got a blue heeler. The pup was with them for one week, now she is staying with us while they go on vacation. I'm doing my best to cram a lot of basic manner training, so the poor pup doesn't herd their one year old, scratch her, and get dumped. I don't really have a point, just venting. Anyone have suggestions for what I can train? She'll be an outside dog and mostly ignored, so maybe I can teach her to throw a ball for herself. How would I go about teaching that?

* I have offered daily, free dogsitting/playtime for her lifetime. Hopefully they take me up on it as she matures.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Depending on her age, the basics include terrific Bite Inhibition, people socialization, dog and animal socialization, and maybe some trips in the car for location socialization. Also, teach her to Sit and to Come perfectly. True, you can't do it all in 2 weeks, but you can get a great start.

Another thing that you might consider if you can get the pup once a week is to try to find some playmates with the same energy level that she has, so that she can really burn off energy at least once a week... it might help to calm the herding intensity ?

Interesting point... if you got to the point where she was learning a number of cute tricks, getting better with understanding "English" would that improve her chances for being less ignored?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is 9 weeks. I taught her a solid Sit yesterday (SOOO smart!), working on Down today. I will teach recall as best I can. We are doing all the BI work, as well as trading toys for not toys.

I have 2 dogs of my own, she falls just between them in energy. She doesn't really seem to care about them, very different from previous puppy experiences.

I'll also work on cute tricks. She rolls already, so maybe a Play Dead. I'd also like to do a high five. Also, I'm exhausted, LOL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts