Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Echo's mouthiness is really getting under control. Her play-biting impulse control improves by the day.

What I can't seem to nip in the bud are her cute, over-sized (sometimes painful) paws.

I don't know if it's her boxer side, but this girl has some POWER in her punch! I'll be lying on the couch watching TV and then "POW" there's two puppy feet jack-hammering into my head. She leads with her feet (even more so now that she's learning not to lead with her mouth). The force is so great now that it actually caused "stars" the other day when she jarred my head so. What's worse is when it happens to the nose (twice now). ... not fun.

She's only meaning to play, but she doesn't know her strength. She's approx 25 lbs. now (I'll find out for sure tomorrow at the vet for her third puppy shot), and she still has a lot of growing yet to do. How do I nip this behavior? I'm actually afraid to lye down on the couch now for fear that she'll sneak up on me and "jackhammer" my head:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Another attention getting device and it works for her....she gets your attention. This is why we train out dogs to do something nice like a polite sit that will (should) always get our attention for being so well mannered. That attention doesn't have to be extravagant...some praise, a little petting, perhaps a short game. Here's the good part of this....the more she sits (or lays quietly) and gets praised for it, the more she will do that.....if, I repeat, if, she is getting enough daily physical and mental stimulation...otherwise, this won't be enough.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will most certainly try praising her good behavior more. You are definitely right that the behavior gets her attention. Thanks so much for the advise.

·
Registered
673 Posts
If it's not one thing it's another isn't it? Mine has improved on her mouthing/nipping on the hands and knows what nice means now but..... twice now she has been going for the ankles?? What's that all about now? herding? I know how painful their paws can be too when they have rough pads:( I hope your dog improves on his behaviour with him hammering at your head:eek:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thankfully, our Hurley is small, so it doesn't hurt, but he's taken to "smacking" us back when we hold a hand up to him (ie if I shake a finger at him and say no). He literally looks like he's trying to swat us away "Get that away from me, you human...." And you're, right, it is completely attention getting- he always suceeds in making us laugh, no matter how hard we try, and then it's difficult to continue disciplining him.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You're right, your dog probably doesn't know she's hurting you. I think when she does do this to you, make a very alarming yelping sound-imitating a how dogs communicate to each other when their playmate has hurt them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts