Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mya - my new puggle puppy - is extremely social (although shy and timid around new people & animals) and is having difficulty adjusting to ever spending time alone. Until I acquired her a couple weeks ago, she'd always had people and/or litter mates around. Any time I put her in the dog carrier she begins to whine, cry and howl hysterically, bites and claws at the gate, and salivates so badly that she appears to have streamers of drool running from the corners of her mouth. It saturates her fur, toys, and anything else I put in there with her. A treat-filled kong sometimes helps but only for a little while. Also, even though I'd taken her outside just before putting her in the crate, she soils the crate immediately. She displays the same behaviors if I leave her alone in my room - not in a crate - while I go to the bathroom or to the kitchen for a couple minutes to make dinner. I've tried getting her adjusted gradually, and with treat incentives, but she freaks out the moment she loses access to me or others. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Puppies come with a hard wired survival instinct to stay close to the pack. Being left alone/abandoned (in the wild) is often a death sentence so, you're right...she's very afraid. As puppies grow older and gain confidence, they learn that being alone is OK.
We can help by leaving them alone for a minute or two and praising them for quiet, calmness and some small confidence.
Some of the confidence building exercises are search games like Sniff & Find where they have to roam the house (on their own) looking for hidden treats; going through small tunnels or walking on a elevated board (Agility type equipment); getting a huge soup bone all to themselves without interruption and most importantly praising and rewarding all signs of boldness and curiosity.
In a few months, with more maturity, they handle being alone better. In the meantime, make an extra effort to keep her close...you won't get a better time to teach her basic obedience or good manners.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts