Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to be as patient as possible.

He's a 10 week old Australian Cattle Dog with way too much energy to burn off in the house. If he's outside his crate in the house playing, he will often eliminate inside on a whim and try to bite everyone in site. This is leading to him spending way too much time in the crate. If I bring him outside without the leash, he'll eliminate and cry at the door to come back inside.

So, I've been trying to leash train him the past few weeks, to at best walk him around the block to burn off some energy. He flops down in the shade and refuses to move. If I try luring him with a treat, he'll sometimes come for the treat and run right back to the shade. Same thing with the "come" command; hit or miss, and take away the treat and he won't bother.

I've tried leashing him and letting him run about. He seems to forget about it after awhile but it doesn't persuade him to walk outside.

·
Registered
332 Posts
There are in house games to burn off energy. Right now where I live its too hot to go outside so its a lot of indoor fetch or hide and go seek or hide the treats. Let the dog drag around the leash inside the house and make sure that he is only confined to 1 or 2 rooms, within reaching distance of you if he starts to show signs he's gonna potty. I have a 15 week old puppy and I had all your puppy problems. Pottying in the house is management at this age. If you are taking your dog potty every 2 hours and they still potty in the house, take them out every hour.

I practice "come" and her name everyday. We took a GLADware dish with a lid, cut a hole in the lid, filled it with her kibble so it rattles when you shake it, and shake out a piece. Do this until the dog learns that when you shake it they're gonna get a treat (kibble.) So sit with your spouse or sibling or roommate down the hall from you. Put the puppy in the middle and call the puppy's name and say, "Come! and shake the treat cup. Then have the person at the other end do it. Call the dog back and forth repeatedly. This will help burn off energy and help with teaching his name and come.

As for the walking on the leash, it took treats, goooooood smelly treats, to get her to follow me. She'd stand still and I'd hold the treat in front of her nose and not let her have it until she walked a few steps with me and I say, "Let's walk!" It took a lot of this and a couple of days for her to finally realize I wanted her to walk with me.

With the biting, read the sticky on the First Time Dog Owner board called The Bite Stops Here, it takes days or in my case a couple of weeks before my pup stopped leaving bruises, but at 15 weeks she'll mouth me painlessly but we're still trying to get her to stop completely and I had my puppy from 10 weeks old.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
My 7 month old either walks great on his leash, or refuses to walk at all. One thing that we've found helps is walking him on a long (15 ft) leash. He gets behind, realizes it, and runs to catch up. It lets him go at his own pace a little better, and much of the time he will trot very close.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
He's not peeing on a whim, he can't tell when he needs to go. Until 6 months, dogs don't have the necessary nerve development to feel that "Hmm, I kinda have to pee. I should get outside soon" feeling. For puppies that young, it's "lalalalala, I'm playing!" straight to "Hey, I'm peeing! Weird!"

At this stage, housetraining is all on you. It's all about management and scheduling. Just hang in there, he'll grow a little and it'll get easier.

As to the leash, imagine, if you will, that someone stuffed you in a sack and dropped you off with strangers in China. (If you speak a Chinese language, use a country whose language you don't know.) These strangers keep saying things to you you don't understand and doing all kinds of weird things to you and you don't know why. The weirdest thing they do is put a strip of leather around your neck! Then they attack a strip of cloth to that thing around your neck and pull you around!

You would be terrified if another human being did this to you, so cut the little puppy some slack.

Train him to enjoy the leash. Associate the leash with really great things going on, like awesome treats of cheese and hotdogs. Take your time with the walking. At 10 weeks, he doesn't have immunity to parvo, so you shouldn't be walking him outside your yard anyway. Use this time to get him used to the leash so he can walk nicely when he's able to. We have a sticky in this forum or the training forum on teaching loose leash walking, so check that out.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
He's not peeing on a whim, he can't tell when he needs to go. Until 6 months, dogs don't have the necessary nerve development to feel that "Hmm, I kinda have to pee. I should get outside soon" feeling. For puppies that young, it's "lalalalala, I'm playing!" straight to "Hey, I'm peeing! Weird!"

At this stage, housetraining is all on you. It's all about management and scheduling. Just hang in there, he'll grow a little and it'll get easier.

As to the leash, imagine, if you will, that someone stuffed you in a sack and dropped you off with strangers in China. (If you speak a Chinese language, use a country whose language you don't know.) These strangers keep saying things to you you don't understand and doing all kinds of weird things to you and you don't know why. The weirdest thing they do is put a strip of leather around your neck! Then they attack a strip of cloth to that thing around your neck and pull you around!

You would be terrified if another human being did this to you, so cut the little puppy some slack.

Train him to enjoy the leash. Associate the leash with really great things going on, like awesome treats of cheese and hotdogs. Take your time with the walking. At 10 weeks, he doesn't have immunity to parvo, so you shouldn't be walking him outside your yard anyway. Use this time to get him used to the leash so he can walk nicely when he's able to. We have a sticky in this forum or the training forum on teaching loose leash walking, so check that out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts