Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mastiff puppy who is eating prey model raw for about a month. He is almost 16 weeks old and weighs 44 lbs. He looks great but I was just wondering if I am supposed to be feeding him a percentage of his adult weight, how do I figure this with such a big swing in adult weights I see for the Mastiffs? His mother was 160 lbs and his father was 190. Right now he is eating 2 or sometimes 3 chicken quaqrters a day (morning, noon and evening) and some gizzards and hearts occasionally. His stool looks great and I can see his last 2 ribs. Just looking for some reassurance.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I think you are feeding him exactly right. Remember adult mastiffs very often eat far less than 2% of their ideal body weight so feeding nearly 4 pounds a day may be much more than your pup needs.

Chicken only isn't a balanced diet though. Good you are giving him some gizzards and hearts but start him on another protein if his poop is good. Half chicken and half red meat plus that little bit of liver and other organ is a good enough diet, chicken only is definitely not.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts